Roon Ready on Lumin D2

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

OSX MacBook Pro, Roon verzon 1.7 build 610

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Lumin D2 connected via ethernet, mac book pro connected on wi-fi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Lumin D2 with ethernet connections Roon, Tidal

Description Of Issue

Trying to better understand how the streaming music files move around and where they play from. With the Roon Ready Lumin D2 streaming via ethernet, are the music files entirely staying on the lumin? With Roon also installed on my mac book, what exactly is my mac book doing in the process, is it just the interface of controls?

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Architecture

This is helpful, specifically I am still confused about whether the music uses wi-fi to get to my roon core installed on my mac book. I thought that the files were quite large and the Lumin requires ethernet to stream, so does the music stay there when I “control it” from my mac book with the roon core or does the file have to transfer via wi-fi to my mac book for processing and then back again via wi fi to the Lumin for playing? Trying to understand the quality impact if wi-fi is used vs the file entirley staying on the Lumin.

Yes. Tidal to Mac is HTTP (WiFi), while Mac to Lumin is RAAT (WiFi followed by Ethernet).

The music file is definitely not staying on the Lumin. When playing using RAAT protocol, it uses a minimal buffer that balances between playback stability and operational responsiveness.

The roon core is always the last device the music passes through before it gets to the endpoint (D2 in your case) via the network connection, no matter where you are streaming it from, Nas, tidal, a local Harddrive on a shared computer etc.

It’s is advisable not to have your core on a WiFi connection for this reason.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.