Roon Refuses to Play AGAIN

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP NAS

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

GigE wired

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Lumin X1

Description Of Issue

Roon 1.8 is flaky as hell.
I cannot play anything either from my NAS, Tidal, Qoboz or Live Radio.
Spotify will connect and play no problem, so the issue is Roon.

My subscription is due for renewal in June.
Sorry, but your software is full of bugs.
Everything worked well until 1.8 and then it fell apart.
This is not the first time this kinda stuff has happened.
I’ve given you the benefit of the doubt and my money, but sorry, I cannot sit here with no music every time you release an update :frowning:

3 Likes

I got it to work by stoping Roon core. Deleting the Cache folder and restarting as someone instructed me last time. We shouldn’t have to do this kinda song and dance…

2 Likes

Glad you got this sorted, can you elucidate what deleting the cache folder entails to help others with similar issues?

Thanks

.sjb

Sure, since mine is QNAP based:

Go to the QNAP interface and stop the Roon Server
Using the file manager locate the Roon install.
Rename the Cache folder (or delete it)
Create a new Cache folder
Restart Roon Server

You have one of the most expensive Roon Ready devices being fed by one of the most under-powered Roon Cores.

It’s time to put some horsepower behind your Core. Go Nucleus if you want it to “just work”.

3 Likes

A Roon Nucleus is a $2500 device based upon a cheap intel NUC that you could build yourself for less than $800.
It has 8GB RAM and a 64GB SSD for the core.
Hardly what I’d call a powerhouse.

My QNAP NAS is a TVS-873 with quad core processor, 24 GB RAM + 2x 512 GB M.2 Samsung EVO SSDs in RAID 0 dedicated for Roon and the QNAP OS.
The RAID itself uses very fast Enterprise Drives in RAID 10.

People who don’t know what they are doing assume that all NAS are bad for hosting Roon.
Not true, I’ll wager this NAS has way more horsepower than the Nucleus Plus.
But what do I know?
I’ve only spent my whole career working was an architect in Enterprise Storage and Backup for Companies like NetApp, EMC and Dell.

4 Likes

Brian doesn’t like NAS for Roon music storage, see here.

" They don’t support real-time watching for file changes very well, scanning them over the network takes 10-20x (or more) as long as a local disk. Because they don’t support filesystem watching very well, you pretty much have to scan the whole folder tree periodically to avoid missing changes."

He is talking about having the music files on the NAS and the Roon core on a separate device on the network and having to detect changes in real time over the network.

Not a problem with the architecture I use, because the Roon core runs on the same device as the music files, just on a separate volume that is optimized for speed.
There are no networking file change looks up, they are on the same system.

Furthermore, file change detection is Roon’s problem, not the underlying file system of the NAS, so I don’t know what he is talking about there?
Roon holds the database and Roon needs to detect changes.
It’s not anyone else’s responsibility.

AMD R-Series APU from ~2015?

Remember that Roon needs to be optimized for single core performance (very few scenarios where this is not true). I don’t know exactly which i3 is in the little Nucleus but the i3’s that came out in 2020 are about an 85% speed increase over the AMD R-Series in single thread performance (PassMark score). I think the larger Nucleus uses an i7? If the CPU in your NAS is not the R-Series I apologize. I’m only going off the data from Qnap.

It’s really a shared filesystem problem. Does your Core see your music storage as a block device or a share? If it’s a share then doesn’t matter if its shared from the same machine. I assume it’s a block device but I know nothing of running Roon on Qnap.

This I agree with. I don’t know why Roon has to hammer the network shares to keep the database intact. But, knowing this is how it works, I directly attach USB storage to my Core. No shares. No problem. And, yes, I’ve got big fast “data center class” HDDs sitting right next to my little plastic USB drives and I don’t use the data center class stuff. I prefer to use what works and be happy over spending my days pulling my hair out on an architecture that should make more sense (but continues to cause issues based on the number of forum posts here).

1 Like

This 100%, knew my little 4tb local attached to Nuc USB HDD made sense sooner or later…lol

The CPU isn’t getting anywhere close to pegged, so the humble AMD chip is doing fine.
NASs generally don’t need tons of CPU and given that Nucleus uses an i3 in its lower model, I’ll wager it doesn’t either. The i7 is for large libraries and for DSP functionality, which I don’t use anyway.

Now, from a purist perspective, we could argue all day about using USB connected drives vs. files on a NAS. I personally don’t hear any sound degradation whether streaming Tidal, Qoboz or playing files off the NAS. The quality of playback isn’t my issue with Roon.
It’s the ■■■■■ software that continuously has to be mucked with by me to get it to work.
Deleting the cache folder to get it to work hints at suboptimal coding somewhere along the stack…

2 Likes

Sorry for the trouble here, @Colin_Johnson — I’m glad to hear that things are currently working for you, though!

How often are you seeing Roon get into this state where the cache needs to be deleted? This is definitely not something that should need to be done regularly, and our team would be happy to help troubleshoot what’s going on here the next time you see this occur!

Every 2 or 3 months.
Also after every upgrade.

I’ll start keeping an exact record from now and let you know.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.