Roon Remote App for latest Apple TV

airplay to apple TV works fine…

My Mac Mini has an HDMI port that I connect to big flatscreen. Awesome. My aging Thinkpad also has an HDMI port.

Any of your cores/remotes have one?

I have a PC in my office which is my main Roon listening device and where my TV is located, I listen to Roon through my Android Phone & Tablet via headphones.

About a year ago I removed a PC from the TV Room because it was never turned on.

I might have a laptop lying around with HDMI. I know I still have the Bluetooth / Touchpad keyboard somewhere.

Well I know what my next weekends project is going to be.

Thanks
MD

+1 for roon app for Apple TV 4! Please make this happen!

2 Likes

It’s been almost 11 months since the request was first put forward, and still no reply. Hard to believe this request is being taken seriously. A simple yes or no would be appreciated.

Hi Roon Team

Would love to see an initial Apple TV app which just shows the album art and track title, of the Core’s ‘Now Playing’ album and track, and perhaps basic playback controls like pause, play, next track, previous track.

Would be great to have the album covers and track titles up on a big screen, like when guests are over etc.

Perhaps the app could develop further over time but this would be a basic but very cool first step.

Just a friendly request.

1 Like

When I send the Roon stream to my Apple TV, I get a full display of the artist, song, and time. I can control play and pause using the Apple TV remote. However, there’s a two second delay after pressing the remote and the response of play/pause. It will advance to the next track. Cant seem to get it to repeat or return to the previous track.

Not quite as responsive as an app but I have enjoyed many hours of listening this way. My iPad version doesnt support Roon so I use VNC on my old iPad to remote control the Roon playback on my MacMini.

Perhaps this is a MacGyvered setup but the sound quality is good and it leverages the Roon experience to another room in the house.

My setup. Roon on a (pretty powerful) desktop PC. Connected to my Emotiva XMC-1 via HDMI (Yep - I get that beautiful purple connection status icon!). Emotiva connected via HDMI to my 65" TV.

I have the HDMI audio output selected on the Roon and I extend my Win 10 to display the Roon control on my TV.

Works FANTASTICALLY.

Bought a cheap (and effective) remote keypad with a mousepad.

Signal path info:

2 Likes

Roon on a 65" display - how cool is that. Better yet from your couch or recliner at your fingertips.:slight_smile:

1 Like

exactly. I’ll post a picture in a bit…

I went to look it up for specs and such on Amazon and could not locate it. Do you know which model replaced it?

Update: Found It

Hi Dan, where is your PC located in relation to the big screen TV? Robert

@Dan_Herrmann

You talkin’ to me?

:slight_smile:

The MacMini is in an old school entertainment center just under a 42" Flatscreen fed via HDMI. This is where I sit and stream or listen to Roon using an Apple wireless keyboard on my lap and MagicMouse on the chair next to me. The USB from the MacMini feeds the DAC then to the hifi.

In the main TV room an Apple TV Feeds a 60" flatscreen with a soundbar & sub. Airplay is via ethernet from the main Airport Extreme router)

There is also an Apple TV feeding the 42" flatscreen. If I am playing Roon throughout the house, then I group this Apple TV with the others. This one is fed via ethernet from a Airport Extreme wireless bridge which also serve the MacMini.

As much as I dream about having a low wattage tube setup with British loudspeakers that sits all alone in a acoustically perfect listening room, my main system will always have a TV screen between and/or behind the speakers. Too many good concerts and great movie soundtracks to enjoy.

Tom

2 Likes

Sorry Tom, I was asking Dan Herrmann…but “misreplied on your response”. but like ur setup! :grinning:

The PC is about 12’ away. It’s actually to the right of my two HT recliners. Pretty quiet setup too.

It’s a pretty decent Asus PC - tons of memory (64Gb) and a big hard drive. I may put in an SSD someday, but not till they come down even further in price (I’d rather spend $$$ on music and movies).

I have two n-1 AppleTVs. I don’t use them for Roon today due to the downsampling of the audio. But I think I’m going to put one of the AppleTVs in my bedroom and listen to music up there thru my TV. May not be necessary because I have a good DLNA server (Asset PnP) that can stream music thru my DirecTV receiver.

1 Like

still not a word about an apple TV APP ???

come on !!! it would allow to control the server in a amazingly simple way … hooking a mac mini to a TV and controlling it with a wireless keyboard/trackpad is really not user friendly .

ipad is cool to control but it’s not always easy to dedicate it to music control when kids and wife want it…

2 Likes

I assume they are kinda busy on Roon v1.3. :slight_smile: I hope that when the dust settles on that one, they might consider an apple TV app. They have it working on IOS. Hopefully it is not such a huge task to get it working on TVOS. I have 3 of those little black boxes in my house, in different rooms. Would be great for people to control it from the TVs, like they do with movies etc.

You mean with a “ten-foot” user interface, as the UI experts call it? (Three meter UI for some of us.) Operated with a remote? That seems limited compared to a touch device like the iPad.

Or does the latest Apple TV expose a touch interface through a remote iPad?

If you want the modern touch interface, but show what is going on at large size on the TV, you could use the Roon iPad app and do AirPlay mirroring to the TV.

Hi Anders

The new Apple TV has a touch interface on its remote control.

Andrew

Yes, and to start with it can just be basic app for next/previous track, pause/play etc and to have the ‘now playing’ artwork up on the big screen would be so cool, when people are over etc.

And yes I know you can AirPlay Mirror to the Apple TV but then you’re limited to the 16/48 sound quality of AirPlay (no Hi-Res streaming).

Hopefully once the dust settles after 1.3 (which is a much bigger priority given the features so far announced - and maybe unannounced surprises?) is released, then they can find some time for this app (both Apple TV and Chromecast basic Remote apps)