Roon Remote App is taking up over 1GB of space on iPhone?

I am always running out of space on my old iPhone so constantly monitoring storage space between photos/messages/apps, and the Roon remote/iPhone app has been taking up more and more room on my phone

Currently sitting at 1.05 GB total, broken out into:
App size: 256.2 MB
Documents & Data: 787.9 MB

App size itself is on the larger size but reasonable, but what is Docs & Data comprised of and why so large?

And why is it taking up increasingly more space? No more than a week ago the whole app (including docs & data) was around 700 MB, I cant afford space for this app to grow 25% every week

Not sure what data is being stored locally on my phone…thought the whole beauty of the core was that the remote app/endpoints can stay light and use the core for its intended use as a storage/processing/data core…

How large is your library?

As reference I am around 55K albums and have a rough 250/250 split in usage, so total 500. Did not see any big changes and I am using roon for years already. Not sure how much multiple end points affect the storage, personally I am only using 1 at the moment.

In Settings|Setup, what’s the size of Memory for Photos/Artwork?
Is the size for Documents & Data decreasing when you hit Clear Cache in Roon Settings|Setup?

grafik

1 Like

Mine is set to 64mb but actual use is 240mb my library is 270k tracks this is on iPad Pro 11”

Good idea thanks, unfortunately did not help, Docs & Data was still sitting at over 700 MB

I deleted the app from my phone and reinstalled, to force a delete of any local data. Docs & data size is back down to KBs without using the app at all yet, so that worked as intended - will report back if the size creeps up again after using it for a while

And for reference, the “Memory for Photos/Artwork” was set to 128 MB on my phone before, so if that’s working correctly would only account for a small chunk of the old 700 MB of local data

As I understand this memory setting, it allows roon to use more or less RAM during the use of the app to improve browsing. It has no effect on the storage size. Storage will be proportional to the amount of artwork roon has to pull.

Also worth to mention the clean library option under Library. This cleans all leftover remnants when moving things around.

1 Like

I never thought to look, but on my iPad mini 2, which until lately is the Roon control device most used, it’s showing Roon using 1.09 GB used. My iPhone 6s which I don’t use often for Roon shows 527 MB. My new iPad I bought last month, which I primarily use now, shows 607 MB.

Since I haven’t paid attention before, I don’t know how much storage use has been increasing. I’ll try to remember to check again later and see if it’s increasing much.

I’ve been a Roon user since 2016 (using my iPad mini 2 for control) and currently show 917 albums (about 750 in local library, the rest Qobuz).

I have a little over 1200 albums linked in Tidal and Qobuz. I mainly use my Dell XPS 15 laptop as control device, but sometimes use my iPhone 6S Plus or iPad Mini 4. The iPhone shows 276.8 MB for Roon app and 46.4 for Roon documents and data.

I had 2.5 gb of data associated with my Roon iPad app which I have deleted and reinstalled. I now have 5 mb. I have noticed no difference in the performance of the app. I am surprised that it accumulates so much data. That it continues to function with a lot less data indicates that this is not related directly to the size of the attaché library. I have over 3000 albums.

Mine has 270 forapp and 4.33gb data and docs

What is it caching ? Looks like the whole library, 140 k tracks

@support any thoughts

My Roon IOS app is 22,11 Gb big…
JRiver takes only 1.3 Mb same music database…

I think they use a different strategy
I also found out that scrolling through my music collection is way faster
wih JRiver Remote app then with Roon…

I think Roon has to rethink their strategy…I even cannot update to newer IOS version because of this…

1 Like

That’s strange. My iOS (14.2, iPhone 11 Pro) app only occupies 340 MB (4200 album library). I guess you already de- and re-installed the app?

Edit: first try to delete your image cache in Roon settings.

Hi Philipp, on my Android telephoon the Roon app has a normal size, but on my IOS Ipad it’s a different story see image…

I didn’t reinstalled the Roon app yet, I shall do it tomorrow

My iPhone 11 Roon app had 1gb of Documents & Data until I went into the app and cleared the album art cache. Now it shows 4mb.

Edit: you can find this setting in the Roon app under Settings->Setup->Clear Image Cache

1 Like

It is caching album art primarily, but probably other content relating to the albums you have browsed through.

22GB :astonished: - surely #support can wade in with comment on this as it seems excessively needy.

1 Like

@Maarten_van_Druten I think @Tim_Rhodes has the right idea, trying clearing the cache first, if you still have problems delete & reinstall the app. Both are quick checks the end user can try & they may resolve the issue quickly. When the basics are checked out then try support (which can take take a lot of time to progress, for all concerned).

Roon data on my iPad has increased to 2.2GB. I noticed Qobuz is quite the memory hog as well at 2GB.

I’m going to delete the apps and reinstall them. I did this recently on my iPhone and Roon only shows 303MB.

I don’t understand why either eats up so much memory.

By default the Qobuz app downloads and retains the tracks you play.

Roon is caching your album art. As I posted above you do not need to reinstall Roon, just clear the cache. That will free up the space.

I found in the Qobuz app where you can select storage size. Apparently, default is 10GB! I changed it to 1GB.

I still don’t understand what is going on with Roon. If in settings the cache is set for 64MB, it seems clearing the cache in Roon wouldn’t free up much space.

I deleted and reinstalled Roon app, and now it’s only using 298MB. Did the same with the Qobuz app, now only using 58MB.