Roon Remote can't connect to Roon core

After not being able to launch the core on my mac mini and getting impatient with the “support”( a chat room) I installed the core on my laptop now and it wont connect, it sees it and says connecting but fails and tries again, I tried another tablet and can connect

Hi William,

I’d like to unpick the above a little if I may, in order to help work out where your current problem lies.

Can you explain what happened when you tried to install and launch Roon on your MacMini. Have you seen the Roon materials about installing ? It sets out some answers to issues that can arise.

Did the Core on your MacMini ever work ?

Did the Core on your laptop ever work ?

When you say the Core on your laptop doesn’t connect and “it sees it”, to what are you referring ? What do you want your laptop to connect to ?

Is it possible that you are trying to get a Remote (Control) on your laptop to connect to the Core on your MacMini ? If so, try turning off all firewalls and seeing if that helps. If so you can reactivate the firewalls after whitelisting Roon and RAAT.

Edit: Thanks Andybob, the fire wall was the problem with the lap top. Any idea if the latest roon is not compatable with an older mac operation system?

Ive been using roon on my mac mini for years, lately when I try to open it it starts to start but doesnt open( with the artist quote and then seems to fail and close) maybe a roon update that doesnt work with my older operating system?

I figured to macs days might be over so I install roon on my dell lap top and released the mac mini as my core and assigned roon on the dell as my core. I have a sotm server and use my cell phone as a remote, the sotm runs roon ready. When I open roon on my phone it sees the roon core on the dell lap top and says “connecting” with the yellow circle after a few seconds…connection failed and this repeats over and over and over, but never connects. I tried with a tablet as well and the same thing happens it cant connect to the lap top core. It is a different problem than the original problem with the mac. So frustrating! And not being able to contact support is compounds it. Ive been waiting weeks to get a new sd card to get the sotm working was looking forward to listening to some music tonight but with roon’s support you need a second source to reliably be able to listen without a 24 hour delay.

@William_Roberts perhaps you could detail the os and hardware specs of both old mini and new dell systems you are using for the core.

1 Like

Thanks Andybob, the fire wall was the problem with the lap top. Any idea if the latest roon is not compatable with an older mac operation system?

OS X 10.8+ is required and 10.12 reccomended.

Others have had issues with 10.8. See here.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.