Roon Remote can't connect

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Dell XPS (Windows 10 Pro, v. 2004, build 19041.630 / Core i7-8700 / Roon 1.7, build 667)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TP-Link Archer C9, remotes are on wifi, Core and streamer are on ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

bel canto e.One Streamer, iPhone 7 (ios 13.7), iPad (7th gen, ios 13.6.1)

Description Of Issue

Both my iPhone and iPad are suddenly unable to connect to Roon Core. Everything is on the same network (the bel canto Seek app on my phone can talk to the e.One streamer, for example). Remote connections are turned on in Roon Core. I verified Windows Firewall had an exception for Roon. Then I shut the firewall off, anyway, just to verify. It is back on, now.

Everything worked until about a week ago. The streamer I was using at the time (Allo DigiOne Signature) failed. Now that I’ve replaced it and started trying to use that system again, Roon remotes aren’t working. In the intervening week, the following occurred on the Core machine: Windows updates, Bitdefender update.

Hi @Trent_Austin,

Are you able to use the UI on the Windows machine still?

On the iOS devices are you able to see the Core and just can’t connect, or does the Core not show up at all?

Everything works fine on the Windows machine. I can send music to any of my audio devices, including this new one.

The iOS devices say they can’t find a Core.

On my iPhone, I went ahead and told it I wanted to select a new Roon Core. It didn’t find it. I clicked the “Help” link and entered the ip addy of my Core machine, and it still didn’t find it.

Hi @Trent,

Do you have automatic updates turned on for your iOS devices? If your iOS devices have updated to iOS14, you will also need to go to iOS Settings -> Privacy -> Local Network and ensure you have Roon checked there so it can discover the Core on your local network.

I’m not. iPhone is 13.7. iPad is 13.6.1.

Hi @Trent,

Thanks for confirming that the iOS version hasn’t changed. Since this issue impacts both your iPhone and iPad, this suggests that the issue is either networking-related or Core-related.

I suggest that we try to see if another PC running the Roon Core on the same network has the same issue connecting. Can you please use these instructions to perform this test?

  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

I don’t have another PC.

1 Like

Hi @Trent,

Thanks for letting me know.

In this case, we can try a full Roon reinstall on the Core to see if it helps:

  • Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the fresh database has the issue (without restoring for now)
  • After testing fresh database restore from backup in step 1

I haven’t had time to mess with this. Work’s keeping me busy.

However, I did reboot for unrelated reasons, and it looked like a Windows update that might have only partially installed finished installing. Now everything works. Not sure why previous reboots didn’t accomplish the same thing, but there you go.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Hi @Trent,

Thanks for letting us know that the Windows Update sorted this issue out!
If you ever need further assistance with Roon, just let us know!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.