Roon remote crashes modem

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
QNAP 473, Roon is installed on a SSD
FLAC files are stored on the discs in the NAS.
Android tablet and Samsung phone used as Roon Remotes.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
NAS is connected to a bbox 3v router/modem from Proximus ISP in Belgium.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Raspberry Pi4b running Ropieee via ethernet cable.
Cambridge Audio CXA81 via USB.

Description Of Issue
Since about 22 December of 2020 I am experiencing lots of modem crashes.
When I want to use my tablet or phone to control Roon, my modem crashes and all internet connections are gone. The Roon server doesn’t crash.

I contacted my ISP provider and they came to replace the modem, this didn’t solve the problem.

Before this problem occurred Roon ran very stable and I didn’t experienced dropouts. When I don’t use Roon, my modem never crashes, even when Roon is running on the NAS, which it does everyday from 9am until 3 at night.

Hoping support can help me because Roon is no fun anymore this way.

Kind regards and thanks in advance

Hi @plunkadelik,

If you try to host the Roon Core on another PC, do you still have this same issue or does it only occur when on the QNAP Core? To switch Roon Core:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Hi Noris,

I didn’t try that because i think i resolved the problem.
Yesterday i used my windows 10 pc as a remote and it worked flawless. No crashes of my modem for the entire day. So i started checking my modem/router settings as i suspected there was a wifi problem. I now am using static ip adresses and until now all works well.

Thank you for your quick reaction. Sorry i used up some of your time for nothing.

Kind regards
Dieter

Hello @plunkadelik,

I’m experiencing the same problem since a few days (see Roon kills my internet connection)
Proximus bbox 3V too.

In my case, I noticed that sometimes, even if Roon remote is shutdown, Roon crashes the modem (Roon Core on SonicOrbiter in my case).
I noticed also that when I deactive Wifi on the modem, everything works fine.

I’m using static ip for all the device since yesterday also.
Could you keep me updated if it resolves the issue for you.

Regards
Thibaut

Hi,

still experiencing crashes. The problem is still there so the static ip’s didn’t resolve the problem.
Tomorrow i’m gonna try to put another wifi router behind the proximus modem and create a new wifi network. I’ll keep you posted.

Kind regards
Dieter

Hello,

same behaviour here. It doesn’t resolve the issue.
I intended also to install an wifi AP(ubiquiti unify) behind the modem beginning of next week.

Regards,

Thibaut

Hi @Thibaut_L / @plunkadelik,

Are you by any chance able to access modem logs and post a set here?

Does the behavior occur from multiple remotes?

If you try to host the Core here, does that also reproduce the issue?

Does this router by any chance have an IGMP Snooping or IGMP Proxying setting you can try to toggle in the web interface?

Hello @noris,

Unfortunately no, logs are not available without ISP’s access.
And no IGMP option.

Yesterday, I installed a Wifi AP behind the modem. Until now, everything is working well. The issue is perhaps resolved (at least “hidden”).

Hello Noris and Thibaut,

As Thibaut stated, no logs are available, however, when the isp technician came to replace the isp modem he said he saw power outs of the modem in the logs. He thought it was because the psu from the modem was faulty. That’s the reason he changed the modem.

Since a couple of days i am running my own network via a tp-link wifi router that i connected to the isp modem, i also disabled the wifi on the isp router. The new wifirouter is connected to the isp modem via pppoe. Everything works fine now.

I’ll try to run the roon core on my windows pc one of the following days and will keep you posted on that one.

Multiple android remotes provoked the problem.

Hi Dieter,

Interesting finding from the technician, but in your case, the new modem didn’t change anything, right?
So perhaps it’s an abnormal behaviour of the modem (triggered by network behaviour of Roon) that cause the power drop… strange
In my case, I have had issue also with only one android remote connected.

Since the new AP is installed behind the modem, everything is also working flawlessly.

1 Like

Hi Thibaut,

No didn’t change anything after all. Strange thing is after the isp modem was replaced, it worked well for a couple of days and then all problems started again. I called proximus support a couple of times and they admitted they received lots of complaints lately but the problem is that proximus telephone support is not that great. As i understood, after a firmware update of the isp modem all problems started but they didn’t offer a solution. For now i am happy because roon is running stable again, fingers crossed it stays that way.

1 Like

Hi @Thibaut_L / @plunkadelik,

Thanks for confirming that adding that additional access point has resolved the issue!

It sounds like this router is having hardware/firmware issues as you suggest. Roon makes heavy use of Multicast for communication, so it is possible that the router has an issue and is not able to process this kind of traffic properly. Roon requires a properly functioning network to work.

Thanks for your help Noris.
Let’s say it was the opportunity for us to improve our network configuration :wink:

1 Like

Yes, the isp router has wifi issues. Happy with the new ap, roon runs smooth again and I have a much better wifi coverage now.

Thanks for the support.

I have the same problem.
Internet crashes when i open roon.
This happens only with roon.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.