Roon Remote crashes on ONKYO Granbeat (Android 6) when paused

Hi,

I installed Roon 1.5 on MacBook Pro for Core, ONKYO Granbeat for Android Remote. Every time I click pause button on Granbeat, I get “Unfortunately, Roon has stopped” message. It happens when the little colored light for Signal Path disappears on Granbeat. At the same time on MacBook, Granbeat disappears from the Networked audio device list on Settings. It sometimes gets reconnected immediately, but most of the time, I need to restart the app on Granbeat to reconnect.

I also installed Roon on my iPhone 6 Plus and no such issues with that.
I tested in multiple network environment and had the same results.
Same issue happens regardless of the source from my library or Tidal.

Is there any settings I can try to make it more stable?

Regards,
Kaz

Thanks for sharing your report with us, @Kaz!

So I can get some greater insight into what may be occuring here, please see the following questions:

• What model ONKYO Granbeat are you using?
  • Has this always happened with this device, or has this behavior only recently started?
  • Have you tried rebooting the Core machine, ONKYO remote, and networking hardware? Is there any difference after doing so?
  • If you uninstall and reinstall the Roon remote app is there any difference in behavior?

Regards,
Dylan

Hi Dylan,

My Granbeat is DP-CMX1, running Android 6.0.1 which is the latest for the device.
It’s been happening always since I installed Roon on this device.
I rebooted both Core and Remove, tried in multiple network environment.
I just tried uninstall/reinstall remote app, but it didn’t fix the problem.

Regards,
Kaz

Thanks for the details, @Kaz.

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

-Dylan

Thanks Dylan,

I started Core and used Remote App. I reproduced the problem a few times. Not sure if diagnostics info was actually uploaded, though.
Please let me know if I need to do something else on my side.

Regards,
Kaz

Thanks, @Kaz!

It looks like the report came through. I’ll pass it along to the team for analysis and I’ll be sure to update you as soon as I receive their feedback.

-Dylan

Hi Dylan,

I just updated my Core and Remote to the latest build 333 but it didn’t fix the problem.

I then realized this issue happens when the output is Granbeat itself.
If I select different zones such as System Output or Chromecast on the Remote App, it won’t crash when I hit the pause button.

Regards,
Kaz

Hey @Kaz,

Good to know! I’ll be sure to pass that along to the team for their investigation.

-Dylan

Hey @Kaz — Thanks for your patience as the team investigates!

I spoke with the team today regarding their investigation. They’re hoping to get some additional insight into what exactly is happening on the device when you experience this issue. Please see instructions below:

• First, reproduce the issue once more and make a note of the time that the crash occurs.
  • Next, use the instructions found here to send the support package from the ONKYO device.
    • The support ID to use is fff9f2ae-4c78-4770-9686-2f25ad3cbeae
  • Once you’ve done the above please respond to this post with the timestamp and let me know that you’ve uploaded the support package.

Thanks!
Dylan

Hi Dylan,

I just sent support package with the ID. The issue happened at 8:51PM PDT on 7/10/2018.
Please let me know if you need something else.

Regards,
Kaz

Thank @Kaz!

I’ll pass that along to the team and I’ll be sure to keep you updated on their findings.

Regards,
Dylan

Hey @Kaz,

First, I want to thank you for your continuing patience and cooperation while we’ve been investigating your report. It has truly been appreciated!

I had a long chat with the team today about their investigation, and they believe that they understand what is causing this behavior. The development team is currently working on an overhaul to how playback works on Android devices and they believe that this issue will be resolved as a part of that overhaul.

At this time I can’t make any promises as to when this changes will be released. However I can promise that I will keep you up to date in this thread as any news becomes available regarding these changes.

Thanks again, Kaz.

Kind regards,
Dylan

Hi Dylan,

I am super happy to know that you guys are making progress!
This is one of the best support experience. Thank you very much!!
I look forward to hearing next good news soon :slight_smile:

Regards,
Kaz

1 Like