Roon remote crashes when idle (Windows 10) [Resolved]

I have an issue that recently popped up, everything was working fine with this setup previously. When my laptop is used as a Roon remote it operates with no issues if I am playing the music through the laptop speakers, headphone jack or an external DAC attached to the laptop but the moment Roon is idle on the remote it crashes and I receiving a “Roon stopped working” error message from Windows. My core and other Roon remotes (an iPad and iPhone) all work fine. Streaming to my Aries streamer or Pulse all work with no issues as well. If I am streaming from the core to the Aries or Pulse and I try to use the laptop remote to change songs, modify playlist, etc. it will crash as well. Below are the details of my setup.

Remote:

Roon version 1.3 Build 269 64 bit
My OS is Windows 10 Home
The remote is running on a HP Envy laptop with an Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.4 Ghz CPU and 8 GB or RAM

Core:

Roon version 1.3 Build 269 64 bit
My OS is Windows 10 Home
My core install is running on a HP Envy laptop with an Intel Core i7 2.4 Ghz CPU and 12 GB of RAM

Hi @BostonX ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. Both are very appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to have our techs take a closer look into this behavior for you to see if we can try to determine the cause of this behavior. With this in mind may I very kindly ask you to reproduce the behaviors being reported and note the time when they occur.

“…the moment Roon is idle on the remote it crashes and I receiving a “Roon stopped working” error message from Windows.”

“If I am streaming from the core to the Aries or Pulse and I try to use the laptop remote to change songs, modify playlist, etc. it will crash as well.”

Once you have provided this information I will then enable diagnostics on your account, which will automatically generate/upload a report directly to our servers containing a fresh set of logs from your devices. Please note that in order for the report to make it to us, both the core and remote machine must both be active :microscope:

-Eric

Thanks Eric. I was not able to replicate the second scenario, however, I have multiple instances of the first. The times include 6:57 PM, 6:59 PM and 7:17 PM EST. Please let me know if there is anything else you need from me.

Thanks for getting back to me @BostonX, very appreciated!

Please be advised that diagnostics have been enabled on your account and the next time the mentioned remote and core machine are active we should receive a diagnostics report containing logs from both devices.

-Eric

Hi @BostonX ---- Letting you know that the mentioned diagnostics report has been received and is currently in our queue to be evaluated by a member of our tech staff.

Once my report has been updated and passed back, I will be sure share the team’s thoughts/findings with you in a timely manor. Your patience is appreciated!

-Eric

Hi @BostonX ----- Thank you for your patience while our techs have been looking into this issue for you. Very appreciated by myself and the team.

Moving forward, the team has noted that they are seeing some “unmanaged crashes” in the traces found in the provided logs, but unfortunately none of the information found points to the cause of the issue. We have also tried to reproducing the reported behavior in our QA labs using the information from your post(s) and could not.

In light of the above, the next time the issue occurs can you please check the “event viewer” on the Win10 remote and if there are any error messages can you please share that information with us?

-Eric

Thanks Eric,

I took a look at the “event viewer” after a crash at 9:10. Below is a screenshot. The crash happened at 9:10 and an error named NVLDDMKM happened at that time. There are also many irstsv errors but those seem to be happening outside of Roon crashing. I have included a screenshots detailing both the system and application errors as well:

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide. Thanks for your help!

It seems odd that you are getting an NVLDDMKM error - this is a NVIDIA display driver error, but does your HP Envy laptop have NVIDIA graphics hardware in it, or does it use Intel HD Graphics hardware?

The irstsv errors are coming from the Intel Rapid Start Technology driver. Again, is this necessary for your HP Envy laptop? I suspect that it’s no longer needed with Windows 10.

Thanks Geoff. Yes my remote laptop has a NVIDIA Geoforce840M card and it uses that instead of the Intel HD Graphics hardware.

I’ll uninstall or disable the Intel Rapid Start Technology this evening.

Hi @BostonX ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested information :clap:

Moving forward, I had a chance to touch base with our technician who performed the analysis of your logs with your latest and he mentioned he had suspected a potential driver related issue.

Please let me know how your testing goes this evening and we can go from there.
-Eric

Hi Eric - I uninstalled Rapid Start Technology which solved the error issue but had no affect on the Roon problem. I then rolled back the NVIDIA driver to the previous version and that seemed to stabilize Roon but then I had significant graphics card issues (half the screen flickering or going black). I then performed a clean install of the NVIDIA graphics driver and everything appears to be working fine now. Thanks again for your help!

1 Like

Thanks for the update @BostonX, very pleased to hear things have remained stable since reinstalling the mentioned graphics driver.

I am going to be marking this thread as “resolved” and closing it out. Please continue to monitor how the remote behaviors and if the issues happens to resurface, drop me a PM and I can re-open to help continue troubleshooting :sunglasses:

Happy listening!
-Eric