Roon Remote for Windows?

Missing a remote to use on my laptop.

Maybe I’m confused about the new setup. I want to control my roon server from my laptop. How should I do that ?

Install RoonServer where you want your Core to run headless, and install Roon (standard) on the same machine and any other that you want to run Remote from.

Ok, but according to the overview I’m installing core and output twice on the same machine, and that is confusing.

The documentastion should be better …

Eh? It is certainly not necessary to install Roon alongside Roonserver on a headless machine. The whole point of Roonserver is that it doesn’t have the UI component, and uses less resources. It’s controlled from Roon (or Roon Remote) instances installed on other machines.

In a mix of machines, there is just one place where the Core is running. That could be just one of the machines running (standard) Roon, or, if you have a headless server, Roonserver on that machine.

When you install (standard) Roon on a machine it asks you during installation whether it is to run the Core, or whether it is simply a remote control and output instance.

I was replying to both of bwa’s recent posts in one. This is his other one.

I don’t want to bring with me an additional device when I’m located 1 meter away from the server console, Roon should not force me to do that …

But the problem is solved, I installed both and will just bring up the Roon GUI when I need it. It’s just a little overhead on the disk consumption, but that is ignorable.

If I bring my laptop with be, sometime I do that, of cource I will use Roon Remote on that. But wait, Roon Remote does not exists on Windows, so I have to install the whole package (again …) wasting megabytes of disk space, just to run the Remote …

So YES, a better solution is to have a Roon Remote for Windows… But he current one, will work, so I’m happy.

A “server console” does not seem to imply a headless machine to me. If your server has a monitor and keyboard attached, the simplest thing (it seems to me) would have been just to install (standard) Roon on it, and use the Core component in that for your library. You didn’t need to have RoonServer installed as well.

1 Like

Roon Remote means any instance of Roon that is not a Core. It is not a separate program.

The server shall also server my Roon Bridge in my livingroom, so Yes, I need the headless server. It’s used mostly for that purpose.

1 Like

It’s very clear that Roon still has failed when trying to explain all variants of the software it delivers. I was confusing at the start and is still confusing … obviously

Even though, I have a working solution now.

Sometimes a picture is worth 1,000 words. Here’s mine, what’s yours? :nerd:

If you are ever going to use the Roon user interface on that machine all you need is Roon Core you don’t need both. The only time you should use Roon Server is for a completely headless install.

That’s not the full story; on a device where the GUI is required very infrequently it’s perfectly fine to have RoonServer and Roon (running as a Remote i.e. no core) installed. Then the GUI can be started/stopped as and when required without having any impact on RoonServer and all the other components.

It just comes down to user choice and Roon offer both options.

Once think to note mind, is that when Roon is minimised it no longer attempts to render the GUI thus difference on the loading of the machine between RoonServer and Roon(minimised) is very small.

1 Like

This would be my thinking too. There’s no refreshing of the GUI when the app is minimized, so in that sense it will behave exactly like RoonServer, and you don’t have to go through the hassle and management of two installs.