Roon remote is so slow

Core Machine

Intel NUC 10th Gen i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB M.2 SSD. Roon ROCK, OS Version 1.0 (build 227) stable, Server Version 1.8 (build 795) stable,

Network Details

ASUS XT8 Mesh, 500 mbps fiber connection. ROCK connected via ethernet to router, endpoints (RPi3-RopieeeXL, RPi4-RopieeeXL, 2 Chromecast Audio, iMac) and remotes via WiFi.

Audio Devices

Relevant device is any remote device I have: MacBook, iMac, iPhone, iPad.
Endpoints (RPi3-RopieeeXL-Topping E30, RPi4-RopieeeXL-Topping E30, 2 Chromecast Audio devices, iMac).

Library Size

About 1500 albums but only in Qobuz or Tidal. No local files.

Description of Issue

When opening the remote app, I get this for almost a minute

Before I can access the Discovery section.

Which is fine if it happens only once. But this happens EVERY TIME I open the remote app in ANY of my devices. Please help.

Also, why don’t you have a ticketing system for support? I’m seriously asking.

Thanks!

Have you restarted the CORE NUC?

can you screen shot your ROCK GUI screen showing the network details

Are you using the cloud flare 1.1.1.1 DNS in your router? (note there were global issues with fastly.com causing slowdowns yesterday)
Fastly CDN problem caused wide website outages worldwide [u] | AppleInsider

2 Likes

Hi Mr Fix It!

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I restarted the CORE, last one was last night, but the issue still persists. I’m using Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in all my devices, set up in the router.

I have the same issue since few days, I restarted server, remote and router and I tried to switch to Cloudfare DNS but nothing changed. I started to notice it after moving to a new computer but I haven’t used the old one for few days before the change so I cannot be sure the two things are connected.
Here is the link to my topic:

1 Like

Having the same issues in Belgium. I’ve tested several different DNS settings (own unbound DNS server, 1.1.1.1, 9.9.9.9) but without success. No IPv6 on my network.
Roon core is running on a VM (Intel i5-10400, 4 cores, 8GB, latest Debian) but I’m experiencing the same issues when running on my desktop (i7 8700k, 16GB, Win 10 21H1)
Speedtest gives my around 270/19.
Using Qobuz for streaming.

I’ve posted in another thread too: Slow loading of Artist Overview and Information - #10 by Christophe_Saelens

You need dns 8.8.8.8 not 9.9.9.9 - no idea what that all 9’s address is

Or 1.1.1.1. Is a good one too

Hello @Arthur_Gonzales,

Thank you very much for getting in touch about this and sorry about the trouble :sweat:

We appreciate the details, as well as the screenshots. They are very telling :nerd_face:

I was wondering, if you haven’t already, would you please:

• reset your local network
  • reboot your Core (turn of, unplug for a couple of minutes, plug back in and start)
  • uninstall the Roon software from your Mac and the Roon Remote from the tablet/phone
  • restart the Mac, tablet, phone
  • reinstall the Roon software on the Mac and Roon Remote on the tablet phone

If you’d rather not write in on community, you can always contact us via our website.

Hi @beka Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I have done all of these many times in the last couple of days and they didn’t do anything to fix my problem. But today, without changing anything, it’s actually better. Care to proffer an explanation? Thanks!

In fact, since yesterday, I have another problem, which is the same with others, where my Qobuz albums are missing in my Roon library. It’s affecting many users. We would really appreciate it if you could send a notice/advisory/explanation when you see these types of issues. I can see that it’s pinned right now on the top of the forums. That’s good at least. Thanks for that.

I hope you don’t mind if I provide you guys with a feedback: The lack of consistent and meaningful communication from you guys about a known issue (many issues, really) is frustrating. I don’t want to browse thread after thread to see, on the off chance, that one guy/gal found a solution to a problem by “trying a bunch of things”, especially when, to the best of my knowledge, I’ve done everything Roon suggested in its knowledge base including but not limited to having a dedicated server, a high speed internet, and a robust home network, to have a reliable user experience.

Anyway, thanks for you help and I hope you guys are able to solve the issues affecting your users soon. Enjoy the weekend!

Hello @Arthur_Gonzales,

Thank you so much for replying right away and for being more than patient while we returned to work after the weekend :pray:

I appreciate the kind and candid way you’ve shared your thoughts. It helps us more than you know.

I’m sorry that I proposed something you’ve already tried and that didn’t work. I’ve looped in our technical team on this so they can ask more information if necessary and so they can make suggestions for next steps.

Thanks for sharing how much better things would be with more transparency on known issues, including resolution steps. We’re listening!

As far as the Qobuz issue is concerned, we are working with Qobuz for our customers to resolve this. An update will be posted here as soon as we have it:

Thanks yet again :pray:

1 Like

Thanks, @beka !

1 Like