Roon remote memory usage...250mb >> 1.3gb!

Mike, I filed a bug on the iPad losing images and being ok after app restart. Sounds like a memory leak to me, or at least some sort of resource leak. But I don’t have much instrumentation on the Ipad to tell me what’s going on.

@mike for me this happens on my remote.

My artwork setting is 512mb. I will try a lower setting.

I am seeing the memory usage in normal Windows Task Manager.

I have Roonserver running in a headless PC (i7-3770s, 8GB RAM Server 2012 R2). This PC communicates with my network via a wireless AC bridge (Dlink DAP 1650). I have an AC wireless router upstairs (Netgear Nighthawk R7000). My music network is on the 5ghz channel and is separate from my regular network on the 2.4ghz channel. I have no issues streaming 1080p video or DSD256 files on my network. The only apps on this PC is HQP and Roonserver. The CPU usage on this PC is usually 2-10% when listening to Tidal or PCM flac files.

My remotes are an i3 laptop and Android tablet also communicating via wifi on my network.

After reducing the memory setting to minimum, Roon remote on my laptop is up to 1.1GB this morning.

I have kept my PC running since this thread and my core machine with 128mb for artwork has kept near 1.2 GB ram, at the end of last night (6 1/2 hours listening) it was 1.4 gb, with total ram usage of 40% (whole system). My remote a surface pro knock off with win 10 I use 96 mb for art work and uses a consistent 500 mb of ram and overall ram usage on that is apprx 50%.

I just checked my Remote on my NUC Skull Canyon with 32Gb on memory, 11.3Gb used! Restarted Remote, using 294mb now, and climbing slowly. Wow!!! Set artwork to 64mb , it was set to 512, see what happens.

Just a FYI, checked my remote, Lenovo Yoga Core i7 w/ 16GB RAM and memory utilization is 1.4GB, Artwork set to 256MB.

RoonServer running a QNAP TVS-882 Corei5 w/ 32GB is consuming 1.2GB of RAM.


11.3 GB is pretty much but for a database app that does a lot of caching anything between 1 and 2 GB is absolutely normal behaviour. Your OS can claim it back instantly if it ever needs it. that’s how memory management works. Be glad your ram is being used, why else did you put 16 or even 32 GB of ram in your system? to sit there idling?

For VMs! and other apps like LMS, Plex, and MySQL!!! So yea it just idles, NOT!

Hit a new record today…1.6GB…Roon remote started getting very sluggish.

I just had to restart Roon remote running on my laptop. It was showing 1GB of memory usage!

I reported on this issue here:

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: High memory usage (memory leak?)

Holy cow! This sounds a lot like some of the issues I’m experiencing with my LampizatOr DSD Komputer music server prototype review sample. It worked fine with the original Daphile software and the subsequent Roon with HQ Player upgrade, but with Roon 1.3, it works, but during a listening session, has disconnection issues, becomes more sluggish, slows down, and – at times – starts skipping and eventually stops playing. This forces me to shut it down and start it up again.

I am wondering if this has to do with hardware issues in the prototype not being robust enough to support Roon 1.3. I am waiting to hear back from the principals at LampizatOr. Any thoughts?

I think there is a memory leak in Roon server. When I do a skip next track, or previous track, the memory use increases with about 12Mbyte. This is easy to reproduce I think. Did some skipping back and forth, I’m now at 1 Gig memory use.

I have that behavior when I have a convolution filter applied, but if I remove the convolution filter the problem disappears. I have sent it to Roon devs and got the reply they had solved it, so next version should fix the problem.

Indeed, it’s in the Convolution engine.

I don’t use convolution at all but this happens to me.

1 Like

For me, the new build fixed this issue.

I continue to experience issues with Roon Labs 1.3 using RAM up on my Lampizator Komputer prototype, which is Linux-based. I am hoping that this can be resolved soon, as it’s frustrating to listen to lovely music, only to have the listening session cut short.

A post was split to a new topic: RAM Usage on Vortexbox

It turns out the problem was in my adding the same drives twice via different pathways in the storage settings. After cleaning my library, deleting my storage connections and adding just two drives onto the storage, it has worked just fine!

1 Like