Roon Remote Not Opening On Nvidia Shield Tablet

Core Machine (MacOS 10.14.6/2.5 GHz Intel Core i5-16GB RAM/1.7 (build 500))

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wi-fi with Apple Airport Extreme

Description Of Issue

Updated both Roon Core on my laptop and the Android app on my Nvidia Shield tablet (Android version 7.0, security patch January 5, 2018). The tablet will either stay on the roon splash screen or show the splash screen for a little bit before going back to the desktop. This is new behavior that started with this update. I tried restarting the tablet and reinstalling the app but the results didn’t change.

1 Like

Hi @Neil_Bulk,

Are other remote devices working okay? Can you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing when you try to use the tablet?

Roon Remote is working fine on my OnePlus 5T phone running Android 9. I updated roon on that device this morning.

Attached is the screenshot I’m seeing on my tablet.

Hi @Neil_Bulk,

Can you share a screenshot of what you see when you go to the Roon page on the Google Play store?

Here is the Google Play Store on my computer.

And Google Play on my tablet.

Hi @Neil_Bulk,

I met with the team to discuss this. We don’t have any of these devices in-house to test with, and we aren’t seeing similar reports from anyone with other devices. We also are unable to enable diagnostics for this device since it doesn’t seem to be connecting, so we don’t have a lot of information to go off of at the moment.

We are hoping that you can grab some system logs from the device so that the team here can take a look. Getting these logs involves connecting your device to a Windows or Mac computer and using ADB to get logs. We can give you some specific steps, but if you’re interested in doing this please see these instructions to install ADB and let us know once it’s installed.

From there we can send next steps.

Thanks!

I’ll do this, just give me a chance to wrap my head around it. It’s a little outside of my wheelhouse.

1 Like

Thanks, @Neil_Bulk. Apologies again for the trouble. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about this.

You’re really going to have to walk me through this step by step. I have ADB unzipped and on my desktop. I’ve attached my tablet via USB. I have MTP and debugging enabled on it via the developers options, but it’s not showing up in finder (I’m on a Mac) and following the terminal commands on that page when I get to the “adb devices” step I get the reply, “-bash: adb: command not found” which means absolutely nothing to me.

Hi @Neil_Bulk,

Apologies for the delay here. Now that you have ADB installed, you’ll want to follow these instructions:

1. Connect your device the machine with ADB via USB
  2. Open Terminal
  3. Type adb shell in it
  4. Type logcat v (you can find more info here: http://developer.android.com/tools/help/logcat.html)
  5. Reproduce the problem and let terminal print logs for 3-5 more seconds
  6. Select output from the moment you started the reproduction of the bug till the very end
  7. Send us the output

I type in “adb shell” and I get “command not found”.

You’re literally going to have to walk me through every single step.

Neil01

Hi @Neil_Bulk,

Apologies — I checked with the team on this one and they’ve provided some updated instructions that include more detailed steps. Let me know if you have any issues with these steps, but this should get include everything you need:

1. Go to this link and download the SDK Platform-Tools for Mac. https://developer.android.com/studio (note that you only need the command line tools at the bottom of the page)
  2. If it does not happen automatically, unzip the downloaded SDK Platform-Tools folder downloaded from the Google Developer site.
  3. Connect your device the machine with ADB via USB
  4. Open Terminal
  5. Type ~/downloads/platform-tools/adb shell in it
  6. Type logcat v (you can find more info here: http://developer.android.com/tools/help/logcat.html)
  7. Reproduce the problem and let terminal print logs for 3-5 more seconds
  8. Select output from the moment you started the reproduction of the bug till the very end
  9. Send us the output

@dylan

I have downloaded the command line version as specified, however, your instructions above state, “Connect your device the machine with ADB via USB”. I’m guessing a word is missing and you meant to say, “Connect your device to the machine with ADB via USB.” If that’s the case, I did that. Should I see it mounted on the Mac? I don’t.

You later say, “Type ~/downloads/platform-tools/adb shell”. When I unzip the file you instructed me to download I don’t get a folder called “platform-tools”. I have a folder called “tools”. Should I type that instead? When I do, it states, “No such file or directory” and I can see that inside the “tools” folder there is nothing labelled “adb.” Here’s what’s inside the “tools” folder.

Please help me get accurate instructions so I may send you the logs. Please be as thorough as needed. If talking over the phone is easier maybe we can schedule a time.

Neil

Hello @Neil_Bulk,

We sincerely apologize for the confusion, your efforts are appreciated.

I believe the issue with the instructions was that the download link was incorrect.

You are right regarding the ADB / USB language, all that is required is to connect the device to your Mac via USB.

Go to the link included below and download the “Download SDK Platform-Tools for Mac” package. This package will enable the instructions posted above to work correctly.

-John

Hi @Neil_Bulk — I just wanted to let you know that the team currently has the logs that you’ve sent over and I’ll be sure to follow up as soon as I’ve received their feedback on this. Thanks for sending those over!

1 Like

@dylan,

Quick update to let you know that doing a full factory reset on the tablet produces the same results. The app will not open on my tablet.

@dylan

FYI, this new build update did not correct this issue with my tablet. Roon still stays stuck on the splash screen.

@dylan @john

Happy New Year! Any updates on this remote issue?

Hi @Neil_Bulk,

I checked our internal tracker to see the latest updates. It looks like this device’s GPU is having some trouble compiling some of the new graphical features that were added in the last update and we’ve opened up a ticket with our development team about this issue.

I can’t promise any specific timelines here, but we’ll be sure to keep you updated once we have more details back from the development team on this.

Thank you!