Roon Remote not working on Samasung Galaxy s6 edge plus [Solved]

Hi all,

I have Roon installed on my Windows 10 64bit PC. I can not get the Roon Remote to connect on my Samsung phone. When I open the app it recognizes my PC with Roon but repeatedly says “initializing, connection, connection failed”. Interestingly the Roon Remote works perfectly on my partner’s ipad.

I have read through some of the other posts but haven’t found anything that has helped me yet. I love Roon so far but it would be great to be able to operate from the couch rather than my PC.

Thanks,
Duncan

Is your phone on the same local network via wifi ?

Yes, it’s on the same wifi network

Yes, the phone is on the same wifi network

OK…just checking the obvious. Is Roon definitely supported on your model of phone ?

I would try power cycling your phone.

I have had Roon running on a S6, the edge variant is not very different. That being said, I have had Roon working flawlessly with the following Android versions, Kit Kat, Lollipop, & Marshmallow. And with this hardware: Nexus 7 (2013), Note 3, Note 4, Note 7, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S6, Tab S, Tab S2.

Hi @Duncan_Kirkwood,

@Support will be along to look into the problem shortly.

I understand the devices are all on the same network, but does that include the same frequency (2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz) ? I think there have been issues in that regard with Samsung Notes.

HI @Duncan_Kirkwood ---- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. In order for me to accurately evaluate what could be causing this issue, I’d like to gather some information from you first to understand what gear you are working with and what your setup consists of.

1. Can you please describe your network configuration. I would like to get a sense of how your devices/equipment are communicating (wifi, ethernet cable, both)? Also, can you please confirm if any network hardware is being used in your current setup (router(s), repeaters, extenders, powerline adaptors, switches). If you are able to provide the make and model of any of these devices, that would be great information to have as well :sunglasses:

2. Can you confirm if there are any active firewalls or anti-virus applications currently in use?

Thanks!
-Eric

Hi,

We have fibre to the home internet delivered from one end of the home to the other via ethernet over power adapters. This goes into a Technicolor MediaAccess TGiiNet-1 Modem/Router. My PC is connected to this wifi with a TP-Link Mini Wireless N USB dongle. My phone and partners ipad are connected to the same wifi. The router only operates at 2.4ghz wifi.

As I said before, the iPad Roon Remote works really well. Interestingly my phone does not detect the PC Roon Core at all now. I have noticed that when I try to use the Roon Remote on my phone my wifi dongle on the computer seems to stop working and I need to unplug it and plug it in again.

My Computer runs Avast antivirus and I just use the windows firewall, I have tried turning both of these off and it makes no difference.

I also have an airport express which I have unplugged for simplicity in the setup.

Thank you very much for the reply and please let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,
Duncan

Thanks for this, I would have thought my phone should work, it is a fairly common, up to date model.

Is there an IP conflict here ? It seems like something is causing a network issue of some sort here. Can you set static IP just to be sure.

Others with more network knowledge may have more ideas.

Hi Nick,

I had to use Google to work out how to do this, but I have now set up a static IP for my Samsung and it is working perfectly! Thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it. Now, back to my music! Is there somewhere I can mark that my problem has been resolved?

Regards,
Duncan.

Excellent news. It was just a hunch but glad it was a good one. Happy days… i will treat myself to some loud music now :yum:

1 Like

Hi Duncan,

Great your s6 is working now with Roon. However, setting it to a static IP is not really solving the problem on your LAN.

I suspect that when the S6 was using DHCP (as it ought to be) to obtain an IP address the router was allocating an IP to it but some other device was already using it.

It is most likely that the other device is using a static IP address which is within the DHCP IP pool range that the router is allocating from.

I would suggest installing a network scanner App such as Fing and use it to identify all the LAN connected devices so you can check for any offending addresses. Once that is dealt with it should be possible to revert your Galaxy S6 back to requesting its IP via DHCP (as their should not be an IP conflict anymore).

If you have any devices using static IP addresses, then do double check they are on the right subnet but outside the DHCP pool range, otherwise is only a matter of time until there are more IP address conflicts between DHCP and static IPs.

Personally I avoid static IPs on my home network … for hardwired devices like a server or a NAS etc. I set and reserve their IP using the DHCP IP allocation tables in the router. This way the device still requests via DHCP and the router always assigns it the same address. (The IP is constant and DHCP server manages them).

Hope that helps.

PS sometimes under abnormal conditions routers may get confused and forget what addresses they have dynamically allocated, when you have time it I’d suggest rebooting the router and then all the LAN connected devices.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for this response. I have a couple of questions, just to confirm my understanding:

I have set up my Samsung using a “static lease” Is this the same as what you have described above?

Am I basically looking for double ups here? i.e. if all the assigned ips are different there shouldn’t be an issue?

Thanks for your help, A lot of this is new to me but it’s good to learn this stuff.

I think this is much clearer to what you really mean, otherwise, the quick take away can seem like you are advocating for not use any static IP methodology for a home network and that is not the case.

Yes, and I admit that sometimes differing manufacturers can have their own “names” for things; But, a static lease is what Carl has been describing. It can also be known as “manual allocation” or one old router I had called it “IP Reservations”.

Hi @Rugby,

Guilty :wink: I do tend to use the term static IP to mean “device level set IP” and your right it could be misconstrued. I have updated my post as you indicated.

Thanks for commenting on this, it may save some head scratching by other readers.