Roon Remote on Android Chromebook Not Connecting

I continue to struggle to get Roon Remote to work on my Chromebook. I am trying to connect to a Nucleus with version 1.7 build 171

If I click help, I connect to https://kb.roonlabs.com/Why_can’t_Roon_Remote_Connect%3F

This does not help. I don’t see a Settings tab on Settings, and I don’t see any setting that enables remote connections.

Sometimes it starts working and works for a while, but a power cycle can cause it not to work anymore. It is not working now.

I can connect reliably if I reboot the Nucleus - one time only. Then no connection.

Windows always connects.

Can you help?

-Chuck

Hi @bennett,

Currently, Chromebooks are not supported with Roon. We’ve found that they are not reliably able to connect to Roon due to how their networking is implemented. You can read more about this here:

Thanks Dylan, I searched but did not come up with the messages you linked. Very helpful.

Disappointing, however. My Samsung Chromebook is my goto network appliance. I have no troubles with any other application. Surely there is some solution…

What works for me so far is to never let the Chromebook sleep. This includes setting the power options to prevent sleep when the cover is closed. I thought maybe this would drain my battery but so far all is well with overnight.

I can reliably connect after cycling the power on roon. This with no sleep allowed appears to work so far. I’ll report back if this changes.

Thanks again,
-Chuck

Roon: I have read the thread linked above, and am confused. Can you be more specific? You say:

We’ve found that they are not reliably able to connect to Roon due to how their networking is implemented.

Is the problem “sandboxing” and if so, why would this affect an app as opposed to a web page?

It is clear from the link above that many would like to see this fixed. Your reply seems to imply that this is a Google issue rather than a Roon issue. Please elaborate.

-Chuck

Hi @bennett,

Yes, the sandboxing is the issue that we have seen cause some issues with these devices.

To elaborate a bit, Roon requires communication with other devices on the network which involves multicast communication. This is different than communicating with a web because different methods of communication are used. Roon needs to have a connection to other devices on the same network which this sandboxing causes issues with.

I would recommend also posting your suggestion in the 'feature request" section of the site.

Our product team and developers keep a close eye on that category, so that’s definitely the best place to propose a change like this and get feedback from the Community.

The feedback is much appreciated here, Chuck, and you have our apologies for the inconvenience.

… ’ll report back if this changes.

As far as I can tell getting roon remote to run reliably on a Chromebook is hopeless.

Roon: for what its worth, I think you should clarify your download web page. You clearly imply that the remote runs on Android. Which Android devices? Tablets, phones? Are chromebooks the only Android devices that Roon does not support?

I would really like to get a tablet bigger than a phone to control Roon with.

1 Like

Has this been fixed yet?

I found controlling my Nucleus from my Pixel smartphone limiting and so I picked up an Acer Chromebook for this sole purpose. Now I have a $300 device that I cannot control my $3000 Roon Nucleus. Very frustrating; maybe I should look for a refund…

I’ve not tried it, but perhaps installing Android on your Chromebook would get around the multicast problems in ChromeOS.

I agree, Colin. Roon works on my Chromebook, a Dell model, but it always takes a long time to load (if at all). Sometimes, a re-book of my roon core is necessary to make it work. It’s very frustrating because it loads almost instantly on my Android phone. I can’t understand why they can’t make it work on Chromebook, which I bought specifically to control Roon as a playback device.

Maybe if we could configure the Roon remote to use a SOCKS proxy (it is not currently possible, isn’t it ?) it could solve the sandboxing problem. We could launch a SOCK server on the Roon core (or better, Roon core could have an included SOCKS server). Having the possibility to configure a proxy would be a welcome evolution to Roon remote, which could solve number of another connectivity problems. Or even SOCKS to be the “official” method to communicate between remote and core ?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.