Roon Remote on iMac connection failed to Roon Core (Catalina with Build 475)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac OS X 10.15.1 (Both Macs)
iMac Late 2013 is the Main Remote
Mac Mini Late 2014 (Roon Core)
Roon Build Number V1.6 (build 475)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Both Macs are hardwired (Ethernet) to a Cisco Switch.
The Router is an Amplifi HD running the latest firmware as of 10/30/19

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

I do have equipment but that is not the core issue

Description Of Issue

The following is presenting on the Roon Remote App in the iMac.

Tyrones-Mini
Mac OS X 10.15.1/192.168.184.152, Version 1.6(build 475) stable
Connection Failed (there is the red dot that appears to be trying to connecting)

The app is asking for me to set up the Roon Core on my iMac versus the Mac Mini where the Core currently is.

I have set up the various permissions in Catalina. I have both Mac OS X firewalls off + Little Snitch completely off on both to troubleshoot and the error remains the same.

For the record, prior to Catalina the firewalls were active as was Little Snitch on both and there were no connectivity issues between the two Macs.

I am out of troubleshooting options at this point and not aware of any additional permissions to set to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your assistance.

Hi @Tyrone_Vias,

Since experiencing this issue have you tried rebooting your Core machine and the remote?

Are other remote devices able to connect to the Core?

Good Morning, I rebooted both Macs and the same issue continues to present.

Thanks for confirming, @Tyrone_Vias.

Do you have any other remote devices? Are they able to connect to the Core?

I have the Roon App installed on my iPhone XR running the latest iOS 13 build. The app on the phone like the iMac does not connect to the Core on the Mac Mini but both see it since the IP address is the same 192.168.184.152

Thanks for confirming that as well, @Tyrone_Vias.

Can you share a screenshot of what you see when trying to connect?

Is the Mac Mini Core headless running RoonServer? If you’re able to use the Mac Mini directly does that work or do you still have problems running Roon?

The Mac Mini does run headless. The remote is not run off the Mac Mini. It is run off the iMac or iOS devices.

Are you asking me to install the Remote software on the Mac Mini? If Y I can but I will not be able to provide feedback until tomorrow. If N please provide a more detailed response.

Thank you.

Hi @Tyrone_Vias,

Yes, if possible it would be good to know if using the Mac Mini as a remote works for you. Typically, this type of error (connection failed) means something is preventing a network connection, so using the Mac Mini itself will help simplify things and rule out some variables.

It would also be good to verify that there is no change with the firewall disabled on both the Mac Mini and the remote device.

I installed the Roon application on the Mac Mini. The Roon app (what is already installed on the iMac) worked without a hitch running on the Mac Mini.

I completed uninstalled the Roon application from the iMac and reinstalled. When I ran the app from the iMac13 it did see and connect to the Mac Mini while the Mini was running the Roon app (not the Roon server app). When I quit the app on the Mini the iMac lost connection.

I then proceeded to get the Roonserver app going on the Mac Mini and the iMac could not connect to the Mac Mini. I then proceeded to have the app on the iMac change the core and I then reselected the Mac Mini and presto it started to work again. It is playing music without a hitch.

I am quite baffled. Hopefully you can tease out the root cause based on the above. Thank you.

Hi @Tyrone_Vias,

I’m glad to hear that you’re up and running now! If you see any issues return please let me know!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.