Roon Remote on my Android freezes when connecting to Core

Roon Core Machine

DIY built Windows 10 64-bit machine
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16GB ram
Roon build 936

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Whatever the modem / router AT&T sent me with my Fiber service. The computer that hosts the Roon Core is connected using ethernet.

Connected Audio Devices

Denafrips Ares II using USB

Number of Tracks in Library

1257 tracks

Description of Issue

Every time I open Roon Remote on my phone, it attempts connecting to the Core on my pc, and the Remote app freezes and eventually crashes. My phone is a Google Pixel 3 running Android 12 with the latest version of Roon Remote.

Try removing the app, boot the phone and reinstalling.
I’m using a pixel 3 and android 12 and its working OK.

I uninstalled the app, restarted my phone, reinstalled it, and it still froze when connecting to Core

Hey @Andrew_Unruh,

First off, welcome to the community! We’re excited to have you here, and thank you for reaching out to us with your question. My sincerest apologies for the delayed response and for your wait. We’ve made some recent changes to the support team structure and some reports have experienced a longer response time than usual.

I’m sorry to hear that you were having issues with getting your Roon remote to connect to your Core. Since some time has passed I wanted to touch base to get your current status. If you’re still experiencing this problem and need assistance please let us know.

We’ll be watching for your reply and get back in touch as quickly as we can. Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for reaching out! I’m still experiencing this

Hey @Andrew_Unruh,

Thanks for letting me know! The first thing to confirm is that your main Roon install is set up to accept connections from remotes. To do this, click the main Navigation menu (top-left of Roon) and select Settings. Next, click the Setup tab, and make sure “Accept connections…” is set to Yes .

After that, please check out this article for the next steps in troubleshooting.

Let me know if your issue persists after trying the above :pray:

1 Like

I just checked and it’s already set up to accept connections from remotes. I remember once quite a while ago being able to use it to start playback on an album, but after that my remote has always frozen at startup when connecting to the core

Hey @Andrew_Unruh,

Thanks for letting me know! The next step would be to have our team take a look at the system logs for your Android device. Below is a step by step for getting

Connect your PC to Android phone and install ADB (instructions are here (all platforms). Then:

1. Type adb shell in terminal
  2. Type logcat v (ref: Logcat command-line tool  |  Android Developers)
  3. Reproduce the problem and let terminal print logs for 3-5 more seconds
  4. Select output from the moment you started the reproduction of the bug till the very end
  5. Upload the log here and let us know once you have done so:
    https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Let me know if you have any questions at all!

1 Like

So I wasn’t able to get adb working on my end (the usb-c port on my phone is very dirty, thus making a good connection unable to happen), but I think I was able to get logs for this. I’m going to send it over now.

Hey @Andrew_Unruh,

I wanted to check in on this, are you still running into issues with the newest build 970? If so, please send over a new set of logs after you’ve updated.

Thanks!

1 Like

It was running fine for a while, and now the same kind of issue is showing up again. I’ll upload a bug report from this time around.

Hey @Andrew_Unruh,

Thanks for letting me know! If possible, could you try completely uninstalling Roon on your Android, and reinstalling it?

If you’re still running into this issue, please send over a timestamp of when this happens along with a set of logs to this link : https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

The issue has since resolved, thank you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.