Roon remotes cannot connect to core

Core: 2011 Mac Mini running Mac OS 10.13.6, running Roon 1.8 build 764

One of my remotes is an IPhone 8 running IOS 14.4 and latest update of Roon Remote

Networking details: both the core and remote devices are connected to same network (192.168.1.0) with same netmask (255.255.255.0) over a Netgear Nighthawk mesh (although same issue was experienced on my prior wifi router, an Apple Airport Express)

Audio
Audio device in play is a DAC attached to the USB port of the Mac Mini. More details can be provided if relevant

Issue:
My IOS device remotes (iphone and ipad) have intermittently not been able to find and connect to the core for some time, predating Roon 1.8. In the last couple months, it has gotten worse. Now that I am on Roon 1.8 I can rarely get these remotes to find the core. “Waiting for a remote Core…” it says. If I try enough times and have an extraordinary amount of patience, the remote will actually find it. This happens maybe 1 in 30 or more tries.

Have you tried rebooting the Core.

Indeed in may help to reboot the network

If you do give the network a few minutes to complete all its various connections before restarting the Core

Worth a try, I have do this daily to avoid lightening strikes so I never see the problem :heart_eyes:

Hi Aaron,

Not official support, but, have a suggestion to try.

On a remote like a phone or tablet running Android or iOS, when you try and login and cannot connect there will be a screen that shows up and you should see a line which says “Make sure your Roon core is powered on and connected to your network.”

Below that line there is a blue “Help” link. Click that “Help” link and you will have a pop up which allows you to enter the IP of your Roon Core.

That is where you enter

This will need to be done on each remote that has a connection issue.

Rugby, Mike, thanks for the suggestions. When I registered this issue, I had just restarted the Mac Mini.

Update:
I left a remote in searching for a core mode all night. When I got up, the little green ball was present, indicating the core was finally found and ready to connect. Now both remotes effortlessly are connecting to the core. The core seems to have “fixed” itself. I then shut down Roon on the core and gathered the logs, which are available here:

After restarting Roon on the core, the remotes are still able to connect. Quite confusing. While I am thrilled that Roon is working for me today, I do not consider this to be resolved, as I have been having trouble for several months. Hopefully the logs will reveal something

It didn’t quite last the whole day. Remotes are back to “Lost connection! Trying to reconnect” again.

@support is anyone able to help me? my subscription is about to end and I do want to renew but cannot unless this is resolved

Hello @Aaron_Phillips ,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here, we have been a bit stretched thin since our 1.8 release and we’re getting back to everyone as quickly as we can.

Do you by any chance have any VPNs or Firewalls active on the Core when this issue occurs? Do you have multiple network interfaces active (like both WiFi and Ethernet)? If so - please try to have only one interface active.

Is the behavior the same if you try to temporarily set up a fresh Roon database? You can use these instructions to do so:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if a fresh database also has the same issue

Do you have the latest router firmware installed? Can you please verify if you have “Multicast Routing” turned on in your router settings?

There is no VPN in play. No firewalls either. I am using only Wifi. No ethernet or other network interface is attached to the core.

I have followed the steps to check if a fresh roon and roon database fixes it. It did not. The problem remains.

Regarding the router settings. Router is at V1.0.6.110 (latest version available). I cannot find any settings for multicast on this router (MR60 model)

i did upload logs from Roon core. Are they not of help with this issue?

The subscription is going to end for me today. Is there a way you all can extend it with enough time to figure out this issue?

Hi aaron,

On page 57 of the MR60 manual is says this:

And in the Roon Networking FAQ it suggests the following:

While it is a different product, I would bet the situation would be similar. You might try looking at the current settings, which are not working, and then setting them the other way to test.

Hope this helps!

Daniel

That seems to be it, thank you! All remotes are working now. I had to reinstall the iphone one for whatever reason but so far so good!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.