Roon Remotes' intermittent struggles with connectivity

@Support

I am very new to Roon – just got set up a few days before 1.3. The Roon system is great, but now that I have been using it for a while, I am noticing a lot of intermittent spottiness with the remotes.

I use an iPhone 7 and a 3 month old iPad Pro as remotes for operating Roon from the other end of my house. I have both devices set to “go to sleep” after a few minutes, which is probably the cause of why signals to/from Roon are lost to begin with.

I frequently (but not consistently) am unable to get the remotes to access the Roon system. It always seems to be trying to connect (I see the Roon icon “fluttering”) but it switches over to a “Lost Connection” message. Sometimes it connects after a couple of minutes.

I have shut off the app (the Roon Remote) and turned it back on and, about half the time, it connects right away. I have done this with both of the remotes (iPhone and iPad Pro).

I should also add that I have the “accept connections from remotes” turned on and have kept up with all of the updates.

Any suggestions?

I also want to add that the wifi signal is excellent. I am easily able to access the internet from the iPhone and iPad from where I am attempting to use the remotes. I have also had this problem occur when less than 5 feet away from the router and NAS (where the Roon Core is).

I don’t let my App sleep. If I close the cover the screen shuts down. iPad Pro.

1 Like

Hi @John_Roberts ----- Thank you for the feedback and my apologies for the slow response here. To help me evaluate this issue, I would like to gather the following information from you:

1. A brief but accurate description of your current setup as seen here.

2. Please describe your network configuration / topology as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing in your setup. I want to get an idea of how your devices are communicating and what tools are being used to make those connections possible.

3. In regard to the behavior you are noticing. You’ve mentioned that your devices are set to “go to sleep” after a few minutes, have you tried adjusting this setting to see if there is a change in performance? If so, what were the results?

-Eric

Eric –

Thanks for the response.

My set up is a ethernet-connected system that consists of a NAS and two Logitech Transporters connected directly to an Apple Time Capsule router.

The NAS is a 64 bit system, powered by an Intel i7-4790K Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150 88W Desktop Processor (16 GB Memory) mounted on a Asus H97M-E/CSM LGA 1150 motherboard.

The Roon Core resides in the NAS on a 1TB SSD.

All music is stored on a single Seagate ST8000NE0001 hard drive. There are about 30K tracks in this collection, although Roon claims there are 61K tracks (I think there are a lot of duplicates). The tracks are wav formatted – I used dBPoweramp to rip them from CDs.

The two remotes I use are a iPhone 7 and a iPad Pro – both purchased new within the past several months. When connected to Roon, they do a great job of controlling Roon in both zones.

I noticed several things with the remotes:
(1) When they are “sleeping,” they seem to “wake up” well (i.e., the screen turns on immediately and other programs and apps are very responsive). They often (but not all of the time) do not connect with Roon. Sometimes they connect with Roon instantly; sometimes it takes a few minutes.
(2) Sometimes, the devices do not connect easily with Roon even if the devices do not appear to have fallen asleep.
(3) Adjusting the amount of time they sleep doesn’t seen to impact whether they are able to reconnect with Roon.
(4) Exiting and Re-booting the Roon remote sometimes works (meaning that it immediately reconnects with Roon); sometimes it doesn’t.
(5) I have been unable to identify any “rhyme or reason” for the Roon remotes’ behavior.
(6) It seems to happen about equally between the two devices. Sometimes switching devices (from iPhone to iPad or vice versa) seems to make a difference; sometimes it doesn’t.
(7) It seems to happen in both zones about equally
(8) It also seems equally likely to happen when the remote devices are within 5 feet of the router and NAS as when I am across the house.

This is about all I can think of to describe.

Thanks for helping with this and please do not hesitate to let me know if you would like any additional information.

John

Hi @John_Roberts ----- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my question/share your observations with me.

Moving forward, I’d like to collect some logs from you and will be contacting you shortly via PM with instructions.

-Eric

Hi Eric –

About an hour ago, I sent you logs from my Roon Core as well as one of my Roon Remotes (iPhone 7). There may be some redundancy here – if so, sorry about the extra data.

About one hour prior to the submission, I encountered a number of disconnects.

I hope this helps in identifying the cause of them.

Let me know what you find.

John

Hi Eric –

Just sent you another support package. My iPhone was being used as a Roon Remote, went asleep, and took nearly a minute “to wake up.” This time, it was four feet from the NAS (which houses the Roon Core and the music files) and six feet from the router.

Admittedly, it was not as slow as it has been. How long should “waking Roon” take?

John

A post was split to a new topic: Arch Linux Core has remote connectivity issues