Roon remotes lose connection to Core

@noris @support
I think this goes well with the theme of a stable remote on iOS.
When trying to switch from one zone to another the Roon app on my iPhone X crashes. It simply disappears. I then have to restart the app and the switching works normally.
If it matters, the zone I am trying to switch to is a Chromecast.

Network details already provided, please let me know if you need additional info.

Have you considered mesh wifi? That is the strongest option for a whole house setup. Something that has access points is best. I use EERO mesh. I believe itā€™s only available in North America, but there should be other similar options.

None of my stuff crashes. Very reliable.

Edit: I had a Asus 68 router RT AC68P. Mesh performed far better in my house.

Hi @DanMtsn,

What kind of device did you start playback on before the Chromecast zone? I just tried migrating zones from a Dragonfly Red, Pulse 2i, Chromecast Ultra and Toshiba Built-in Chromecast and I did not experience any crashing.

Have you managed to replace the old router or are you still using that one? I suggest replacing the router first, as these symptoms might also be due to your network.

As for specific router models, we cannot provide a specific brand/model, but as you have seen there are quite a few threads that discuss userā€™s experience with various router brands and models.

We have found that often ISP routers have poor multicast implementations, but that is obviously not noted in the marketing materials for the router. Mesh is a good choice if you have a large area you need to cover.

Once you replace the router, we can see what issues are resolved versus which ones still need further investigating.

I started playback on my Roon core. Then tried to switch zones using the phone. Didnā€™t change the router, Iā€™m still researching the matterā€¦

thank you. Iā€™m currently looking into Ubiquity solutions, mesh included.

1 Like

Good luck with it. The mesh technology is a big step up. Iā€™ll never go back to a single router sitting in the corner of the house.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Disconnects + Reconnects

I donā€™t have that

Been using roon for three years
Rasp pi end points, ps audio dac, windows end points, denon av receiver

Use iPhone 6, modern iPad Pro , and pixel 4 for controllers, as well as the desktop
Maybe Iā€™m lucky, but all seems to work fine;

2 Likes

Hi @Fernando_Pereira
+1 using unifi controller, USG 3G, unifi 150W switch and AC access points (lite and LR), however I find several issues with Roon and my setup, too. Before Unifi, I had a basic consumer grade router, Asus RT-66AC and the aforementioned APs from Ubiquiti and also had networking issues, different to the ones I have now. Back at the time it was the core was ā€œinitializingā€, but now the issue is Tidal not working after a few minutes of restarting the core, that it also appears to be the moment the database is updating. I went the DNS troubleshooting route but ruled it out after tracing my network packages with wireshark. Maybe it is a broadcast/multicast storm my config is not managing right?
As you have the same networking set up as I do, I was wondering if you could share your configuration with me to benchmark.
Thanks!

AmpliFi HD is in bridge mode with the EdgeRouter. The EdgeRouter is connected to two separate ISPs for redundancy (I work from home a lot).

Thanks, this is great but I was referring to tweaks of the switch like enabling IGMP Snooping or firewall rules, ports forwarding, etc. I am making this up, but just as an idea of the insights I could use from your experience in optimizing unifi for roon.
By the way, your name sounds latin, so if it is better for you in Spanish itā€™s even better for me too (I am from Argentina)
Thank you!

Iā€™m Portuguese, I can read Spanish but not really write itā€¦ My EdgeRouter and AmpliFi HD donā€™t have much tweaking. The AmpliFi HD is in bridge mode because all routing, DHCP, etc are done by the EdgeRouter. The EdgeRouter had originally a simple SOHO configuration but then I modified it to support two ISPs. However, firewall and port forwarding rules are what they were with the simple configuration.

Hi Edmund, very useful, I have a relatively high end setup (well its all relative I guess) but I still use the BT Home hub, and a Develo unit that has a standard issue Ethernet cable to my media streamer. All works well and the sound is great for me. However Iā€™m interested in your setup.

To clarify, you have thrown away your BT Hub, so the Draytek connects to the phone socket and the Asus connects to the Draytek. The Asus provides Ethernet and WiFi. Is that right?

kind regards
H

Hi Hud

Yes you got it right. The Draytek is the modem that connects to BT master socket on one side and the ASUS router on the other. The ASUS Router (with Merlin Firmware) runs the network and provides some WiFi. I have 4 Devolo Magic 2 WiFi boxes in different rooms around the house. The Magic 2 WiFi provides 2 Ethernet ports and also 2.4 and 5 WiFi - this is set up as a Mesh, so as you move around the house with a WiFi device, the device will automatically switch to link to the outlet with the strongest signal. Works a treat for me.

Cool another project to do! Thanks

I do keep my BT provided latest Smart Hub 2 (they have the cheek to charge Ā£200 if you want to buy this from their store, but provide ā€œfreeā€ if you ask on renewal) configured and ready to go (takes just 2 cable unplug-replugs) because BT insist on you connecting via their hub for troubleshooting/testing if you have a problem with your link, or they will blame your kit.

Thread has run itā€™s course, closing it since the user has resolved this issue by using new networking hardware: