Roon rescanning files, grooming/customization gone

Roon Core Machine

Qnap TVS-473, 8gb RAM, AMD 4-core 2.1GHz, Roon 2.0 (build 1193)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

100k+ tracks in library

Description of Issue

At the home screen on my controllers (iPad, iPhone), it is showing all my music was added again yesterday, but i didn’t add/change anything. This is a problem because months of grooming/customization that was working well, is all gone. I restored to a prior database checkpoint, but Roon immediately began scanning all the files again, and so the problem remains (i.e., all grooming/customization is gone). What happened? Can someone help?

Roon re-analysis is triggered when a file’s last modified date changes. I’d start by looking at the modified date for the files on the server and see if that’s the cause. If so you then need to work out what’s caused the change to the modified date.

That may not be the only trigger, but it’s probably the best place to start.

I’m sure you are right about the date, but it seems weird to me that this removed edits. I frequently re-uploaded files to my music storage (mostly because I added lyrics tags) and Roon understood that it’s the same files despite a new modification date, and my edited credits remained untouched.

Agreed, all of which makes me wonder if they’re the same files. Roon doesn’t touch local file MD AFAIK.

@killdozer @Suedkiez thanks so much for looking at this for me. I’ve checked the files; none of them have been modified and the modified date in Windows Explorer and Qnap confirm this. When I opened Roon again a day later, it says that all the albums/tracks were added to my library again yesterday. When I restarted my NAS/core, it starts adding all the music again. So this means that Roon is re-adding all the music each day, and each time all the edits/grooming is gone. Any other settings/solutions I can try? Thanks.

Fixed it! I had the parent directory and 10 subdirectories as watch folders. I removed the subdirectories and that fixed it. Phew. Thanks again for your prompt attention and help. Much appreciated guys. -Abe

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.