Roon rescans the same number of files every time it starts

The title pretty much says it. Every time I start Roon (core on a 2012 15" MacBook Pro, files on attached USB drive), it appears to rescan the same number of files. My library is a mix of Tidal and ALAC/FLAC, roughly 57k tracks and 5900 albums.

Here’s the screen from about 2 weeks ago:25%20PM

And here’s tonight’s:
39%20PM

It always seems to take a minute or two to scan that last file. Other than that, I’m not having any problems that I’m aware of, but it is puzzling. Any thoughts on solving the puzzle would be appreciated, cheers!

Hey @kneville — Apologies on the delayed response here!

I spoke with our technical team on what could cause this kind of behavior , and I have some steps to try.

First, if you are using an iTunes library, try disabling it and see if you get the same behavior. In the past we have seen somewhat similar behavior from certain versions of iTunes, so this should help determine if that is the root cause.

If this behavior is still occuring, try going through and disabling your watched folders one by one and restarting Roon after each. This will allow us to narrow down the possible cause here.

Thank you for your patience as we looked into this, we really appreciate it!

Regards,
Dylan

Thanks for following up, @dylan. I haven’t used my home setup in several days, so haven’t had a chance to troubleshoot based on your suggestions. I am at home today and, on starting up Roon, saw the same re-scanning occur. I’m not positive that it happens on every re-start, but I’ll check. I do use my iTunes library in Roon, so that may well be the culprit. I’ll run through your suggestions today and report back. Thanks again!

Ok, I did see it again on a restart though I can’t confirm that it occurs 100% of the time. I disabled my iTunes library, quit Roon and re-started. That did the trick, no analyzing 91 files again. But now what? Most of my local music files (CD rips to ALAC from my pre-Roon days) live there and I like to listen to them.:slight_smile: Thanks!

Hey @kneville!

Apologies on the delayed response. I’m glad to know that this resolved the issue, so we are on the right track here!

I spoke with the technical team regarding this, and since disabling your iTunes library resolved the issue, it sounds like you are using the old method of linking your iTunes library. To move forward, we will want to bring your library into Roon using the new method.

Before doing anything, make a backup. You’ll want to have a backup of your Roon database on hand before making this change, just to be safe.

Please follow these steps for adding these files to Roon:

1. Make a backup
  2. Go to Settings > Storage. Here you will see all of your watched folders as well as your iTunes library at the bottom.
  3. Select the option to delete your iTunes library.
  4. Next you’ll need to add the folder that contains your iTunes library files too your Roon watched folders. Note that if you want to keep your iTunes playlists you will want to make sure that your iTunes XML file is located in this folder as well.

Once the new folders are added the tracks will import into Roon.

If you have any questions about this process please let me know!

Regards,
Dylan

Hi @dylan -

Thanks for getting back to me. No worries on the time frame, I have a functional system with a mild annoyance and you guys are busy! :wink: I don’t have Roon running tonight, but I should be able to re-add my iTunes library tomorrow night. I do recall a new method of incorporating an iTunes library being introduced several versions ago, but I also recall feeling like the instructions were confusing and so I didn’t touch anything. Your instructions are quite clear, I don’t anticipate any issues, but I’ll make sure I have a recent database back up. I’ll let you know how things go, thanks again.

1 Like