Roon restarting audio analysis of my albums

Roon Core Machine

Time of this report: 3/5/2022, 13:25:39
Machine name: CHRISTOPHE-PC
Machine Id: {E211A206-60B0-4DC7-99BF-772AF4C7FCEE}
Operating System: Windows 10 Famille 64-bit (10.0, Build 19043) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Language: French (Regional Setting: French)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: G11CD-K
BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/25/16 14:12:34 Ver: 05.0000C (type: BIOS)
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 24576MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 24526MB RAM
Page File: 16098MB used, 12011MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, no HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.0928 64bit Unicode

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

With Roon opened : I renamed an album (Haydn, Quatuors), added a tag, re-identified the album in order to display the correct jacket.

Then I closed Roon and moved the audio tracks to another folder within the roon’s music library. Namely : from “Musique/Classique/Quatuor Mosaïques/Haydn- String Quartets, Op. 20 [Disc 2]” to “Music/Classique/Joseph Haydn/Haydn - Quatuor Mosaiques - Quatuors op20.”

I then restarted Roon, checked the “Réglages/Bibliothèque musicale” page (EN > Settings/Musical Library, I guess) and saw that Roon was re-starting the audio analysis of the albums almost from scratch…
11683 tracks to analyse, it is litterally going to take days… :cold_face:

It’s not really a game breaker since analysis runs in the background but still, there is definitely no (good) reason why moving tracks from one folder to another should trigger a full re-analysis of the audio.
BTW, the updates I made to the metadata of the albums are still correctly displayed.

Hey @Christophe_Brun,

What you’re seeing is normal behavior. You restarted Roon and it’s simply re-scanning the drive when it becomes available again. Roon will scan the drive looking for changes, meaning files that have been modified, deleted, or added. The speed of the scan will be dependent on the speed of your hard drive and its connection to your Roon core, as well as the size of your library.

Hi Jamie.

Well, no, it is not the normal behavior. I restart my computer and Roon every day, I add and delete albums almost every day (less often since I now have scanned my entire CDs collection, but still on a regular basis) and what Roon does is such cases is fast and normal : Roon checks the directory and updates the albums list, if there is a new album it start the audio analysis of the tracks, it takes a few seconds or, when Roon has to make the audio analysis of new tracks, a few minutes and that’s all.

What I described on my last post is a different and (hopefully) abnormal behaviour : Roon decided to restart the audio analysis of almost all the tracks and it lasted, as I said, several days (with Roon being opened almost all day long).

Almost all the tracks means here : 11680+ tracks / the 15300+ total tracks. Not sure about the cause but I have a guess : did Roon re-analysed the audio profile of the tracks added to the library after the “Haydn- String Quartets, Op. 20 [Disc 2]” I moved ? The proportion seems roughly the same, at least.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.