Roon Rock: burst of noise, a few seconds playback, then nothing - problem continues

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC12WSHi7 NUC Pro Barebone Kit - i7 12th Gen
Crucial 16GB (1x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM Memory
Roon Server software: Version 2.0 (build 1211) production

Roon software was build 1854, now 1211; no change.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Music library on Synology DiskStation DS1621+ 6-Bay Diskless NAS Ryzen Quad Core 2.2GHz 4GB populated by 6 off WD WD60EFZX 6TB Red Plus 3.5" 5640RPM SATA NAS Hard Drive in RAID5 configuration
Ethernet devices (NUC, NAS & Mac Mini M1 networked via Netgear Prosafe GS108-AU Gigabit switch
No VPN

Connected Audio Devices

NAD D3045 amplifier connected via USB

Number of Tracks in Library

~70,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Further on this previously-discussed issue. I was getting the described symptom on three of the four USB outputs on the NUC, with the fourth working. However, I am now getting this on the one previously working USB output - the only difference being rather than a few seconds playback, I get a few minutes, then no audio. Roon shows the track still playing.

Restarting Roon Server does not allow playback with audio - a full restart of the NUC is required.

I have reinstalled the OS; no change.

How long have you been using this NUC?
Could it be overheating causing a glitch in the USB bus? Might check to make sure it is clean and the fan is still running?

Is the BIOS up to date? (not that this would cause the issue to occur but a data point to consider)

Is the NAD or the USB cable having issues? Do they work connected directly to PC/MAC with no issues?

Six weeks; bought new.

BIOS set as per the ROCK Install Guide.

The amp and USB cable are also virtually new. The amp works normally and the cable tests OK.

I am leaning towards a NUC hardware issue, particularly as the problem has changed for the worse over the past weeks.

1 Like

Might need to go for an RMA on the NUC?

That’s where I’m heading…

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.