Roon rock core settings and database not ready

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nuc rock build 174

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ASUS rt n66u, Apple airport express

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

My nuc rock has been working flawlessly until this weekend, when my laptop or phone will not connect to my core. When I enter the ip address I get the below screen. The reinstall os button does not seem to work. I’ve also noticed all the Ethernet settings have disappeared per below:

The reset settings and database also seems to make no difference.

Thanks for your help

Hi @spl82,

Can I please ask you to use these instructions to manually send me a copy of your ROCK logs folder? The best way to get them over to me would be via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com link.

When I enter my rock there are no logs.

Within the database folder there is a registry folder containing one unix executable called id.

I have a separate backup saved on my nas from 0300 on Saturday morning however.

Hi @spl82,

Can you please try rebooting your ROCK Core to see if that has any change?

I have rebooted it from my browser, the power switch and unplugged the power supply multiple times and nothing has changed.

Strange thing / screenshot … is the ROCK connected via WiFi if there’s no ethernet? And: was the internal disk empty? From the screenshot it looks like it is now.

Could be a hardware issue / defect. Maybe the disk? (Wild guess, I know…)

I can access the wireless settings and wifi is disabled, I tried enabling it, but I get a red popup which says I cannot save the settings.

The NUC is hardwired into an airport express which is hardwired to my Asus router.

What about the disk? On the screenshot, it says 100% available - that would mean it’s empty. (?)

The nuc has 2 disks, one for the os / database and a 2 tb disk for music storage which I haven’t utilised.

Thanks for your help!

Ah, OK. It’s a far shot but maybe something (bad) with / to the OS disk (M.2 SSD) happened? There’s not much diagnostics to get out of a ROCK NUC which doesn’t write log files. :thinking:

I wonder if a clean install according to https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK_Install_Guide would help – if there’s really a problem with the SSD, maybe not. @noris probably has better ideas than me.

A fresh install using those instructions + restoring the database would be my next suggestion here as well, and I would also check to make sure that all the internal NUC cables + RAM is properly seated. @spl82, do you recall if anything occurred around the time of failure, such as a power outage?

I’m not aware of anything and none of the other devices in the cupboard seem to be affected.

The NUC is still under warrantee so I will return it to the vendor for repair.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Hi @spl82,

I would personally try a ROCK reinstall prior to returning it to see if it will help, but the decision is yours. Do let me know if you still require further assistance after a replacement/reinstall.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.