Roon rock is jumping over tunes (HQPlayer)

So I downloaded HQplayer 4 desktop for Windows on the same NUC ( 2 partitions ) and it plays without problems but Wasapi 5,6 Mbit!
Why can I not get ASIO XMOS 2.0? Xmos says it is standard in Windows 11!

I think I may have done something wrong when installing Ubuntu! How can I see if I did it right! Maybe a partion is left from the old download so that there may be a double installation causing the conflict?!

It is unmanaged switch, should be fine.

I was only thinking about local patch cords that actually plug into your NUCs.

If you can take a note date+time of the point where the problem happens and then send me full log file (over email). I can take a look.

Please also email me your settings.xml from the same directory where the log file is.

ASIO is never part of Windows. ASIO driver is always provided by the device manufacturer and it is specific to the particular hardware. It is usually installed by the manufacturer’s Windows driver package.

You can manually delete and edit the partitions in the Ubuntu installer. Assuming here that you don’t have any other OS installed on the same device.

But before doing more work, just check from HQPlayer’s “About” dialog that you are on the latest version. And send me the log and settings file once again.

Also check the “dmesg” output before and after, if there appear any new error messages from kernel when the problem appears.

Also, if you have exact same NUC model as your friend, also check that you are using the same USB port he is using. Just recently I had strange problems with my keyboard and Schiit DAC - and the issue was that a certain USB hub model, plugged to rear ports of my Xeon workstation caused these issues. Some USB incompatibility… Sometimes things were working sometimes not.

This is the disc partition on the NUC with Ubuntu 20.04 /HQplayer4desktop 4.17.2/Windows 11!
Does it look correct or…………

I guess that 529 MB one is /boot and 963 MB one is swap, 103,74 GB is then the / (root) partition.

In the Ubuntu installer, you can designate these partitions to be formatted such way. Do NOT touch the 99 MB EFI system partition (needed for boot) or the C: NTFS partition.

I will then reinstall Ubuntu/HQplayer! Which versions do you recommend?

Just stick to the normal Ubuntu Desktop 22.04 LTS.

Or if you want to go experimental, you can try with Fedora Workstation 36. But the way to install and manage packages there is somewhat different. Not necessarily a bad idea to try though as you have already battled so much on Ubuntu. Fedora has the very latest Linux kernel and other things, just in case that makes a difference.

Now playing my friends NUC in my system and it works! So the problem is in my NUC as I anticipated!
I have to reinstall Windows 11 and Ubuntu, 2 partitions!
Any proposal how to do it best?

2 Likes

You should install Windows first. First delete the old partitions in the installer. And while installing, leave half of the diskspace unused. If you cannot leave half free, it doesn’t matter, because you can also shrink the OS volume later in Windows Disk Manager.

I have done exactly what you described! I installed Fedora 36 and HQplayer4desktop Fedora! And I have the same problem again!!!
May the problem be in the DDR4 memories?
Should I replace! Or is the NUC kaputt?

Could your NUC be going into thermal throttle that cuts down processing power below what is needed? That happens if processor cooling is not working well, for example because the NUC fan is clogged with dust, or not spinning properly. The Linux glances package gives a very nice command-line overview of everything going on in your Linux machine, including CPU temperature. I have it on Ubuntu, but there are instructions on how to set it up on Fedora too:

1 Like

Interesting! I heard yesterday that when I was jumping to a new tune that the fan in the NUC went very load!
I have also Windows 11 on the NUC! Can I check there?

Or in bios?

Are you upsampling to DSD (SDM) ?
Which filters are you using, which is the modulator and which bit rate and rate limit did you set?

As recommended by Jussi!

Eventual dust is now gone! Temperaturen looks ok to me in bios!

2 Likes

Try using ASDM5 modulator instead of ASDM5EC that is is quite demanding

No difference! When it worked I used DSD7 256 + fs.
So something is wrong with the NUC!
If I buy a new computor What do you recommend?

A new M2 Mac mini!

1 Like

I’m happy with my 16Gb M1 Mac mini, which I use with one of my Holo DACs and the following SDM configuration:

SDM: Auto rate family, -3dB startup volume

1x: poly-sinc-gauss-xla
Nx: poly-sinc-gauss-hires-ip
modulator: ASDM7ECv2
Bit rate: auto
Rate limit: 12288000

My Holo DACs support 48k DSD, so I checked that.

M1 runs at 50-70% CPU load depending on the source material. Just works :grinning:

4 Likes

I have not considered M2 Mac mini! You mean the std or the Pro?
I am about to take over a i9 9900 computor with watercooling, rtx 2080 and 32GB RAM!
How would these compare?