ROON ROCK - M.2 SSD not recognized anymore

Roon Core Machine

Intel Nuc i7 10th Gen (BXNUC10i7FNH2)
8gb Ram
Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVME 250gb (MZ-V7S250BW)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Devolo Magic 2 next

Connected Audio Devices

Nuc via Ethernet dlan to Rasp Pi4 (RoopieXl) and via USB to Buchardt A500

Nuc via USB to Topping D10s via coaxial to Project Pre Box s2 (Audioengine A2+)

Number of Tracks in Library

about 25.000-30.000 tracks

Description of Issue

My Nuc running Rock stopped recognizing my M.2 Ssd (Bios says “not installed”). Thought it would be a failed ssd, so I bought a new one, but this one doesn’t t work either.
When booting it says “No bootable device detected” and when trying to install Roon Rock again via usb-dongle it says “Roon optimized core kit could not find any disks to install on”.

The whole system worked flawless for over a year.

Already tried a BIOS update, but didn’t help.
Checked both Ssd with an external case and both are recognized by my Macbook.

Would appreciate any tips.

had the idea to start with my old ssd from usb with the external case. The NUC found the OS but it says “kernel panic”

This message essentially means that the Roon installer can’t find the root filesystem. I suspect your NUC’s PCIE interface is broken. However, it may be worthwhile resetting the BIOS to defaults and giving the M.2 slot a gentle clean. Then follow ROCK setup instructions.

Tried resetting BIOS several times, cleaned the M.2 slot, but didn’t help.

Tried now to installing ROON ROCK on an external drive, which worked.
But when booting after installation the screen with “Kernel panic” shows up again.
(I changed in BIOS boot priority to the external hard disk and deactivated therefore the M.2 slot)

Is this Kernel panic a hardware or software failure. How can I fix this?

I think you’ll find that ROCK can only be installed on the M.2 drive, so the bootloader is therefore unable to find the OS, which is why there’s a kernel panic.

Unfortunately, it looks like the NUC is broken and may need replacing.

@Martin_Webster Thank you for your help.
Yes, looks like a hardware issue. Hope I can get it replaced on warranty.

1 Like

Hey @Manuel_Ulrich ,

Yes, this is a Kernel Panic, it can sometimes be resolved by running ROCK Recovery from the installer USB.

You may want to try a BIOS update to see if that will help, but since there is no M2 detection at all to run the recovery on, it’s likely to be a hardware issue in this case.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.