Roon ROCK OS wifi non-free-firmware of Linux added?

I know wifi chips like Broadcom requires its own closed source driver, firmware under linux system. Rock is Linux based OS.
Then what kind of wifi card ROCK supports?
anyone can have the supported wifi card list?

• The models we support are:
  • NUC5i3xxx
  • NUC5i5xxx
  • NUC6i3SYx
  • NUC6i5SYx
  • NUC7i3BNx
  • NUC7i5BNx
  • NUC7i7BNx
  • NUC7i3DNx
  • NUC7i5DNx
  • NUC7i7DNx
  • NUC8i3BEx
  • NUC8i5BEx
  • NUC8i7BEx

But then again, WiFi is not available on the Gen 8 NUCs (when running ROCK)

Is this for core or endpoint use?

Rocks WiFi card support is limited. Usb dongles seem to fair better.

ROCK is able to run on other X86 PCs. However I am not sure which wifi chip is supported.

ROCK is for core use only.

Thats the point, none of us does. And we won’t get answers from the Roon crew either.
Thats because they support the mentioned list of NUC’s. And what @Henry_McLeod was trying to say is that Roon Core is clearly recommended to run wired.

Nope, the ROCK NUC’s are also often used as endpoints since they per definition contain the Bridge component.

So, you will have to suck it and see, if you are too lazy to check which WLAN hardware is contained in the provided list of NUC’s. But we are also trying to tell you that Core is not suitable for running on WLAN.

If you can not get a wired connection to your core, consider using a WiFi access point and use a wired connection between the AP and your core. The access point will be more stable and will work in full duplex unlike the NUC internal card or a dongle.

Thanks Mikael.
I will check the ROCK firmware directory and kernel and see that what kind of wifi driver is contained.
I installed ROCK to several x86 mini pc, fanless, and found that some wifi setting is available while some are not.

1 Like