In Roon I enter the SMB File Share Name as:
\MSamji-WS\Music
or:
smb://Msamji/Music

Both work and have had the same result.

For the User Name I have tried:
Roon
Samji\Roon

But only “Roon” seems to successfully work with having the Share connected.

I also tried using “Roon” as the user name, and put “Samji” in the Workgroup name since it is the name of the active directory, but that didn’t allow the Share to connect.

Tonight when I get home, I’ll delete both Music Shares & the Backup share and re-add all of them. I’ll send you a timestamp when I do that for you.

1 Like

so with Roon as the username and blank workgroup, it works fine? but on reboot it does not?

I ask because your logs are full of other cases, like Samji in the workgroup name and samji\roon in the username.

You’ve been trying so many things, it’s hard for us to tell what is not working and what is, and when it breaks.

Here is what works:

Network Share Name -> \msamji-ws\Music or smb://msamji-ws/music
User Name -> Roon
Workgroup -> BLANK

Other combo’s where I try to integrate the AD name “Samji” cause to fail. Specially either

• Changing the user name to Samji\Roon (FAILS)
  • OR Putting Samji in the Workgroup name (FAILS)

And this breaks after reboot? or keeps working?

Let me ask a dumb question… :blush: Why are you doing things that don’t work if there is a thing that does work? Is something defective about the other solution or was it not the obvious first choice? I’m clearly missing something…

My goal is simple. Connect to a SMB Share and also reliably reconnect to the SMB share when Roon Server restarts.

Since it fails every time I restart Roon, I was trying other combos that included the Active Directory name to see if that helped solve the Roon reconnect issue.

But adding the AD name had no impact and caused it to fail to connect even when you do the intial connection.

Basically I was experimenting with all possible combos to see what works.

Sorry I missed your first question. Yes the combo above that I indicated works, fails to reconnect after a restart.

did you remove all and note the time when you added just one and rebooted? id like to ask your rock to send us logs.

ok, I think this fixed it.

Here is the steps from tonight

1. Delete all SMB Shares
  2. Restart ROCK
  3. Add ONE SMB Share back. Confirm it connected and is indexing
  4. Restart ROCK

THIS TIME, it successfully reconnected after a RESTART. (YEAHHHHH!)

1. Add SECOND SMB Share back. Confirm it connected
  2. Restart ROCK

Confirmed BOTH SMB Shares reconnected with no issues POST ROCK Restart.

So it looks like this is resolved. After you grab logs I’ll start a few more times to confirm it always re-connects.

If we confirm this is fixed, I think there are 2 bugs that should be considered

1. If you mistype your SMB share settings, and then successful connect, any future re-start should use the correct settings and not use the first set of info entered. It looks like the initial incorrect creds are getting cached.

2. If you type AD\UserName it should work to connect to an SMB share. Currently just “Username” works.

1 Like

My Roon box (a custom built PC now over 7 yrs old) lasts weeks between reboots - usually just done for Windows updates.

I DO have occasional situations where Roon just won’t play, seemingly stuck at 0:00… This is because I have (through my main Focal system) a DSP correction file rendered by the DSP Convolution feature, and I’m trying to play back a DSD file. Roon can’t (yet?) summon th could power to do this.

My two cents.