Roon ROCK stops playing when I start/shutdown other Windows Desktop PC [Solved - Moving Ethernet Connection to Switch instead of Router]

Hi,

I run ROCK on a NUC, my USB DAC is connected via Roon Bridge on a headless Mac Mini.

I use both an iPad and a Windows Desktop PC (Windows10) as a remote for my one and only zone.
However, when I start or shutdown my desktop, Roon stops playing. This happens consistently.
Although there is no restart/reboot of ROCK needed to start playing again, it is a bit unexpected behavior.

Relevant logs available when needed.

(Note: on my previous no-ROCK setup with Roon server running on my Mac Mini, this issue did not occur)

Kind regards,
Gerard

Hello @Gerard_Burgstede,

Thanks for contacting support I’d be happy to take a look over this issue with you. When you say you’re shutting off your desktop, I just want to confirm, you’re talking about the Windows 10 Roon Remote device not the Mac Mini, correct? If so, that is certainly strange behavior what would warrant a closer look. Does this behavior still occur if you shut down the computer with the Roon App closed first? Logs would be helpful in getting this issue sorted out as well. If you have them available, I will PM you shortly on how to upload them to us.

I have also gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode on your account and the next time your Core and Windows 10 computer are active, a fresh set of logs will automatically be uploaded to our servers for further analysis. If I can kindly please ask you to perform the same issue you experience and note the exact local time in your country (ex. 11:30AM) that this issue occurs at, we can take a look at that time to see if there is any unexpected behavior from Roon’s side. Please let me know the above when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Gerard_Burgstede,

I want to bring the conversation back to this thread so that other support staff can see this issue and are aware of it. I have just received the report back from QA and they did indeed notice the issue of RAATServer disconnecting when the Windows10 client boots up. They have proposed some more troubleshooting steps:

• Would it be possible to try and start the Windows 10 machine in “Safe Mode” or “Safe Mode with Networking” to verify if the issue still occurs then? Safe Mode or Safe Mode with networking would lower the network consumption of the machine and help rule out congestion due to networking traffic

• Can you please reinstall the Roon Remote application on your Windows Machine and your Mac Mini to see if that has any resolution on the play/pause randomly occurring?

Please let me know your results to the above tests when possible and I will pass them on the the QA team reviewing your case.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

These are my observations:

• reinstall Roon does not help
  • completely uninstall Roon (and Bridge) on my Windows DESKTOP does not help
  • issue often occurs directly when BIOS startup screen shows, so Windows Safe Mode won’t help here

So, what I did next:

• make sure there’s no Roon installation of any kind on my Windows DESKTOP
  • On Mac Mini, removed my old Roon Server
  • On Mac Mini, reinstalled my Roon Bridge
  • Restarted ROCK on my NUC

Result: issue still occurs, often directly when DEKSTOPs BIOS screen is shown or otherwise soon during Windows startup, so even when Roon is not installed in Windows!

But…
The only way to prevent the issue consistently is to leave Roon open on my iPad.
As soon as I close remote on the iPad, the issue starts recurring when restarting DESKTOP…

Does this help?

Kind regards,
Gerard

Hello @Gerard_Burgstede,

Thank you for performing those tests for us, I have to honestly say I’ve never seen this kind of behavior before and we may have to escalate your case with one of our developers. I will be sure to let you know once QA has had a chance to review your most recent findings and what the suggested next steps are.

I greatly appreciate your feedback here and do know that we are taking this issue seriously. We will be in touch again as soon as I have more updates to share, thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Gerard_Burgstede,

I just want to keep you in the loop here and let you know that QA has agreed with my recommendation of escalating your case with one of our developers and have added your case to the Developer Review Queue. While I cannot comment on exactly when they will have a chance to review it, I am hopeful that we can get some next steps for you in a reasonable time frame. I appreciate your patience while this review happens on our end and will be in touch as soon as I have more information to share with you.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Gerard_Burgstede,

The QA team kindly requests more information about your network setup, can you please provide the following:

• Model and Manufacturer of your Router
  • Model and Manufacturer of any network switches you have installed
  • Model and Manufacturer of any additional access points/ range extenders in your setup
  • Method in which your NUC, Mac Mini, Windows Desktop PC are connected to your router – Ethernet or Wifi connection?
  • What settings you have set up for your Router, are you using DHCP IP Address setup or do you have static IPs set up in your network for each device?
  • Does your iPad have the same IP address as your Desktop by any chance? You can check the IP address in iOS in Settings -> Wifi -> Info Button and IP address in the Windows PC in Command Prompt -> Command “ipconfig”.

Please let me know the above when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

I think this image provide all info youi need, right?

Kind regards,
Gerard

Hello @Gerard_Burgstede,

Thank you for the comprehensive image that you have provided. I believe that it lists all the required information and I have forwarded it to our QA team. I will be sure to let you know after they provide some feedback regarding your Networking setup and will be in touch soon.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Gerard_Burgstede,

Just want to let you know I have received some feedback from the QA team and from one of our developers.

They have asked if you can perform the following tests to try and localize the issue:

• Can you temporarily try to connect the Windows Desktop to one of the switches instead of directly into the router and verify if the behavior still occurs?
  • If the behavior still occurs, can you please try to disconnect the Windows Desktop’s Ethernet connection, leave it only on WiFi and reboot it after doing so?
  • Can you please verify if there are any power saving settings enabled on the Router that could be causing this issue?
  • Would it be possible to temporarily test the setup using another router and verify if this behavior still occurs with a new one?

Please let me know your replies when possible, I greatly appreciate how concise and insightful you have been in the troubleshooting process so far! I look forward to your response.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

I noticed that pulling out my network cable on Desktop was already enough to make Roon stop playing!
So, as you advised, I connected my Desktop to a switch instead of the router, see my updated overview.

And, guess what, the issue seems to be resolved!! :grinning:
At least, I survived 3 reboots of Desktop, which makes me quite confident. :wink:

Thanks for your help and suggestions, much appreciated.

Regards,
Gerard

Hello @Gerard_Burgstede,

Glad to hear that moving that Ethernet cable resolved this issue!! I am marking your case as [Solved] because the main issue seems to have gone away and I just want to say thanks again for the diagrams and descriptions that you have provided in making this solution clearer to picture for both myself and the QA team. I wish you a great day and if there’s anything else, just let me know! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.