Roon saturated Mac Mini

I have now had two incidents in which my brand new 3.2 Ghz 6 core intel Core i7 mac mini starts blowing its fan full-blast. The activity monitor shows roon using > 2 cores flat out. There is no music playing at all. This is not good. What is there to be done?

Maybe your Mac’s Backgroud Audio Analysis Speed is set to ,Fast (2 Cores)? In the settings menu you can reduce it to ,Throttled‘?

The default setting of throttled was in place.

I’d repost this to Support.
There seems to be some issue with various Macs where CPU ‘runs away’. Roon are aware of the problem, but last I saw they were having a hard time pinning down the exact problem.
The specifics of your case could help them solve the problem. Better yet, they can run diagnostics on your computer which might fix it.

Hmm. That gives me some pause though my situation is a bit different. I’m in week 2 of my trial. I have the Core installed on my iMac 4K with 32 GB RAM running an i7 proc. I ALSO have the Bridge installed on my Mac Mini which is connected directly to my PS Audio DSD as an endpoint. 2.3 GHz i7 proc w/ 8 GB Ram. This feeds through to my Lyngdorf MP-60 which is ALSO an endpoint. My thought is to put the Core on my SSD MAC Mini, thus freeing up the iMac. I would purchase a new SSD external drive to connect to the Mac Mini. ALL on same Ethernet network.

So I assume if I have no issue now, with Roon Core ONLY on the Mac Mini I should easily be able to use the same endpoints? Is it recommended to uninstall from the iMac and reinstall the Core on the Mac Mini and UNINSTALL the Bridge I presume I would no longer need? Since I WAS using the SSD fan-less Mac Mini as a music streamer, it seems like the easiest way to simplify everything into one box and avoid the cost of a new dedicated box like a Nuc or a Nucleus. Any thoughts/help appreciated in advance. :pray:t2:

It’s easier than that.
No need to uninstall anything on the iMac. Just run a Roon backup. Then disconnect it as the core.
Install Roonserver on the mini, and move the backup to this machine (restore the database there). This transfers your database. If you don’t care about the database (since you’re new), you can just install fresh on the Mini. You don’t need to wipe the Roon Bridge from the mini.
This would give you RoonServer on the mini as your core, and you would see the Lyngdorf as an endpoint. You would connect to the RoonServer on the mini through the iMac (still running Roon), or any other client that runs Roon.

Thanks. Unfortunately I missed your reply, and naturally somehow screwed it up a bit. I mean, I’m apparently able to manage my way in between the two endpoints, but because I failed to make a backup I corrupted the Library with all of my preferences. But as you say, I’m “new” so not as though I lost a lot. I actually uninstalled from the iMac and uninstalled the Bridge on the Mac Mini. Somehow the Roon RAAT still resides on my iMac and doesn’t appear on the Mac Mini. I presume it’s tied to the bridge and doesn’t really do anything at this point?

My iMac is out of the picture now, as was my goal. The Mac Mini only has one available USB port so I suppose I can back up to another external HD. Or does Roon only require “preferences” for backups? In this case I’d use a flash drive as opposed to an external drive. Or does a Roon backup literally backup the actual music files? And is the optimal SQ achieved with both the decoder and render options selected? It’s rough being a beginner. Dint like being “out of my element” but in time, with help from people like you I’ll likely get it sorted out ! Thanks! :pray:t2::musical_score:

A Roon backup only backs up the Roon Database, not any music. Isn’t your Mac Mini that’s the core on ethernet? Your core really should be connected to your network by wire. It can work wireless, but you may get stalls, delays, music not starting right, etc. But whether it’s connected wired or wireless, it should appear on your network and you can set the backups (through Roon) that way.
Don’t use something like Apple Time Capsule to do the Roon backups. They often don’t restore the database properly.