Roon scan picking up duplicate files from NAS snapshot files

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK/NUC i7/v1.7 build 521

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Meraki switches and firewall/ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Ethernet to opticalRendu USB to W4S DAC

Description Of Issue

I keep my music in a folder on a ReadyNAS in a RAID5 configuration. I recently had a failure on my main NAS that has made it inoperable. I keep a backup copy of my Music folder on a second ReadyNAS. That folder has about 38K files and is about 3TB. While I am working to replace the failed NAS and recover the data, I am trying to use the backup copy of my Music folder. When I look at the folder in Win File Explorer, it is identical to my main Music folder in terms of size and number of files. However, when I try to point Roon at it to use as my Library folder for Roon, it not only scans the NAS Music folder but also seems to be scanning the snapshot files that REadyNAS keeps for backup/recovery purposes. These snapshot folders are in their own directory that is not under the Music folder, so I don’t understand why this is happening. Is there a way for me to prevent Roon from scanning the snapshot directory?

maybe you can post a screen shot of your storage setup

Hi @ksalno,

As @wizardofoz suggested, can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage? This will help us better understand how Roon is watching your files.

It’s not very complicated. I switched from one NAS to another backup NAS just to get Roon up and running again but the config is exactly the same with the exception of the IP address.

Perhaps you can run a cleanup…but it looks like its still going so maybe the duplicates could be just what’s left in the system from the old stuff before it gets it all cleaned up

If you mean I Library cleanup, I’ve done that. I think I have found the problem. For some reason my NAS is putting the Snapshot files for my Music folder in the folder itself instead of putting them in the Snapshot folder. I couldn’t find a way to change the path in the folder settings, so I need to do some more research on configuring Snapshots on a ReadyNAS. Frankly, I’d like to turn off Snapshots completely. Huge waste of disk space and I already run RAID5 and have multiple copies, so I don’t need Snapshots.

Well it sounds like you have it covered with multiple copies. Raid5 is not backup its redundancy thats all.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.