Roon scanning not progressing

I am having a similar problem @support -

The following message is displayed when placing the mouse pointer on the Adding Music To Library “spinning wheel”

“Adding Music To Library: Of 11 tracks, 11 added, 0 identified”

52,988 tracks were successfully imported into Roon after I upgraded my music server but for several days scanning has been stuck on 11 tracks which evidently it added to the library but failed to identify. I suspect these 11 files are corrupt and by deleting them the problem will be resolved but after searching the log files I find no indication of which 11 files are causing the hang-up.

Roon version 1.5 (build 334) stable (32bit)
Windows 10 Pro (optimized for music processing)
Fidelizer NimitraS Music Server (4GB DDR3L RAM - CPU Intel Celeron J1900 Quad Core 2.0GHz)
Hard drive enclosure (4 5TB HDD’s RAID 10 direct attached storage via USB to music server)
Music collection size (52,988 tracks)

The Adding Music To Library “spinning wheel” has been constant for around one week with the message “Adding Music To Library: Of 11 tracks, 11 added, 0 identified” displayed when hovering the mouse pointer. I am able to access and listen to the files that have been successfully imported.

Thanks,

Mike

Hey @Mike_Covher — Thanks for reaching out!

I’d like to enable some diagnostics on your account so we can take a look at what you’re experiencing here. Before I do this, may I ask that you please do the following:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

This should allow the team to gain some insight into what you’re experiencing in the report. Once you’ve done this let me know the timestamps and I’ll enable diagnostics on your account. When the diagnostics report is uploaded I’ll send it over to our team for analysis.

Thank you,
Dylan

1 Like

Hi Dylan,

Thank you for responding so quickly regarding this issue.

All times are West Coast USA (Pacific Daylight Time)

• Rebooted the Core machine ~ 7:40 AM
  • Started Roon ~ 7:41 AM (Spinner ran for 5 minutes)
  • Rebooted the Core machine again ~ 7:46 AM
  • Started Roon again ~ 7:47 AM (Spinner ran for another 5 minutes)
  • Turned off Core machine ~ 7:52 AM

I restarted the NimitraS Music Server ~ 11:30 AM to listen to music; I generally leave it on all the time.

Thank you,

Mike

Thanks, @Mike_Covher!

I’ve enabled diagnostics on your account. The report will automatically be generated the next time your Core is active. When the report reaches us I’ll pass it along to the team and, once they’ve investigated, I’ll be sure to let you know their findings.

-Dylan

Hi Dylan,

Can you confirm that you’ve received the report? Is there more information that I can provide that will lead to a resolution of this issue?

The server I use is low power by design and with the continual scanning occurring in the background I suspect precious system resources are being needlessly consumed. The sooner Roon completes this process the better.

Thanks,

-Mike

Hey @Mike_Covher,

Apologies for the delay here. Yes, I can confirm that we have received the diagnostics report and the technical team has been investigating. The investigation has been escalated to our development team for further review — I am expecting to receive new feedback from the team on this soon. As soon as they conclude their investigation I will be sure to update you here ASAP.

Apologies again for the difficulties here, Mike. Your patience has truly been appreciated!

Regards,
Dylan

Hey @Mike_Covher,

I appreciate your patience here while we have been investigating. We had a meeting with out development team and we have some next steps here.

There is an album that is causing Roon to get stuck during the identification process. Roon goes through this identification process for albums regularly without issue, so there is something about this particular album that is different.

So we can start to track down this album, can you please go to the Albums browser, use Focus, and choose Inspector > Unidentified. This will show all unidentified albums. Can you let me know how many total there are here that are unidentified?

Thanks!
Dylan

Hi Dylan,

As you can see from this screen shot [Album - Focus - Inspector] there is no “Unidentified” option to select.

I can select “Identified” - the following is a screen shot when “Identified is selected” [Red - Identified] is displayed.
Focused on 899 of 4341. Is this the information you requested?

The following screen shot is when “Identified is selected” [Green - Identified] is displayed.
Focused on 3442 of 4341.

Thanks for looking into this!

All the best,

Mike

Hey @Mike_Covher,

I wanted to reach out with an update from the team. To help us track down the troublesome album, we were hoping you could perform the following:

1. Terminate Roon service on the Core machine
  2. Create a shortcut of Roon/RoonServer on the Desktop
  3. Right click on the shortcut > Properties> Shortcut
  4. In target field, after filepath, type in -identifiertrace
  5. Apply
  6. Launch Roon using this shortcut
  7. Make note of the time
  8. Let the app run for hour or two

Once you’ve let Roon run, let us know the time that you started running Roon and we will enable diagnostics once more and review the report.

Thanks!
Dylan

Something to bear in mind:

Green = the attribute is TRUE
Red = the attribute is FALSE

In other words, When “Identified” is green (+), it means show all the albums that have been identified.
When “Identified” is red (-), it means show all the albums that have NOT been identified, i.e. the albums that are unidentified.

The same goes for other attributes that can be selected for within the Focus screens.

Hi Dylan,

Roon was launched with the -identifiertrace flag at 7:14 AM 8/30/2018.

I’ve included a screen shot of the “Adding Music To Library” message that continues to display.

Thanks for your help with this,

Mike

Thanks, @Mike_Covher!

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

-Dylan

Update — The diagnostics report has been received. Passing it along to the team now.

Hey @Mike_Covher,

Thanks for your patience while the team has been looking into this. The technical team got back to me with their findings today and I wanted to give you an update.

The team believes they’ve traced the problem (at least in part) to the following album:

Ambra - Honour & Glory aa[SACD Multichannel]

Can you try moving this album out of your watched folder (don’t delete the album, just move it to a new location) and let us know if you notice any change?

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi Dylan,
I moved the files out of the watched folder but that did not solve the problem; the same message appears.

Hi Dylan,

Any new ideas regarding the cause of this problem? After removing the files identified by the team as the source, at least in part of the issue - the scanning continues and the same message appears.

Keetakawee Punpeng the developer of Fidelizer and the Nimitra Music Server which I use thinks there could be a problem with my HDD’s. He feels Roon may be trying to scan damaged files over and over and he recommends that I reformat the HDD array and copy the music files again. I was hoping not to go to this extreme but do you feel this could be the answer?

Previously you asked that I “go to the Albums browser, use Focus, and choose Inspector > Unidentified”. You stated “This will show all unidentified albums”.
The result of Inspector > Unidentified Focused on 899 of 4341.
Does this result indicate that there are 899 Unidentified albums? If this is the case I don’t understand the displayed message - “Adding Music To Library: Of 11 tracks, 11 added, 0 identified”.

It’s a pity that the log files are not more helpful in pinpointing the problem.

Looking forward to your recommendation,

Mike

Hey @Mike_Covher,

I appreciate your patience here while we we have been looking into this. I had a chat with the team about this today and wanted to reach out with our next steps.

The issue you’re experiencing is similar to an issue that we have identified in house and are currently working on a solution for. This solution will be in the next update of Roon and may take care of this for you.

With this in mind, there are a couple of options for moving forward:

1. We can wait for the next update and see if things are improved after that. I don’t have any exact timeline for the next release, but I can be sure to keep you up to date as more information becomes available on this.
  2. There is some testing that can be done to track down the specific files that are causing the problem. This testing requires some manual work to be done, but it would definitely help us track down the troublesome media.

If you’d like to move forward with the additional testing please let me know. Otherwise I will be sure to keep you updated here once new information about the next update becomes available.

Kind regards,
Dylan

Hi Dylan,
Let’s carry on with the additional testing. I look forward to receiving further instructions in an effort to identify the files at the heart of the issue.
Thanks,
Mike
Ps.
I’m amazed that so many of my albums are unidentified. Most contain highly accurate tags sourced from MusicBrainz and Discogs as well as Acoustic Id’s provided by Acoustid. Catalog numbers, and in some cases even bar-codes are included but many albums remain unidentified in Roon!

Hey @Mike_Covher,

Once we get through the testing and get everything up and running fully for you we will have to take a look at a few examples of this. Often times if an album exists on AllMusic or MusicBrainz we will have metadata for that album, so if it exists there any it’s not being identified we will have to take a closer look at why that may be.

For the test, we need to identify which album is causing the issue, and so manually testing this is going to be the best bet.

To start, in your current database, we will want to do a couple things.

1. Make a backup of your database so you have it.
  2. On the albums screen, select Focus and under Other choose Bootleg. Make a note of the albums listed here (taking screenshots may be the easiest way).

Next, we will want to start a fresh database. You can do that by following these steps:

• Shut down your Roon Core
  • Locate your Roon database according to these instructions
  • Rename the entire Roon (or RoonServer) folder to roon_old
  • Relaunch Roon, sign in, and configure a new install but do not add any watched folders.

Moving forward, we need to create a new folder to watch. You’ll want to do this wherever your current watched folder resides. Do not add any music to this folder yet. Once the folder has been created, add it as a watched folder in Roon.

From here, you’ll want to slowly start adding in the albums from the bootleg list that we found before, as mentioned in Step 2. Add an album, make sure it imports, and then add the next. By adding albums in this way, one by one, we will eventually find which album breaks things and be able to examine that album more closely.

I appreciate you doing this, Mike! We know this kind of manual search can be a bit tedious, and it’s something we try to avoid at all costs when possible. Unfortunately there is something very different about one of your albums that is causing our identification process to get hung up in a way that is definitely very rare, and so tracking down this troublesome album will allow us to understand why it’s happening and ensure that this gets resolved.

Kind regards,
Dylan

Hey @Mike_Covher,

We just released Roon 1.5 (Build 354) which includes an identification issue we believe you are experiencing here. Can you give the new update a try and let me know how things go?

You can read more about the update here:

Thanks,
Dylan