Roon scans a random drive?

I have a NUC running W10 + ROON server + external USB HDD but somehow when I start Roon on the client PC, Roon starts ‘eating’ the drive on the local PC, why is that? This drive folder is on the client and is not set up to be a part of the library in any way.

What it does contain however, is a copy of the music folder that’s on the drive connected to the NUC, but then again - Roon doesn’t say it’s scanning the drive and the drive isn’t set as Roon library.

Take a look, this is what happens on the internal drive of the client PC:

After closing Roon, the drive goes back to 0% load.

Isn’t “Music Folder” on c:?

On both machines there is no music stored on C:\ nor in the standard Music folder in Windows, also the “Music Folder” library in Roon is disabled.

The local drive has letter E:\ and the music folder on the NUC is D:\

I have just tried opening the remote desktop on the NUC and see what the disk load / network load is there - nothing wrong, Roon is indeed loading files from it as I see the usage spike every time I change the track.
Still doesn’t explain at all, what Roon is doing with the other HDD that’s in the client’s PC.

I even went so far as removing the drive letter to ‘hide’ the drive from Roon on the client PC and it did leave it alone (playback etc. still worked perfectly fine, as it should) but the moment I re-assigned it’s letter, the massacre started again.

What does help, is manually changing the drive letter on the client PC from E:\ to F:\ and Roon leaves it alone.

Can anyone explain this? :rofl:

In the screenshot you posted The Music Folder is still showing and saying it is watching for new files in real time.

Correct, however I’ve disabled it right away and it was still using the drive.

Any symlinks to E:? (Although it seems they would have to be in your Music folder and you have disabled this)

Hi @Martin_J,

Is there any change in behavior if you reinstall the Roon Remote app on your Client PC? I would go ahead and use these instructions on the client PC to start with a fresh Roon install:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location on the client PC
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.