Roon Search Overhauled [2022-12] Update

Oh my God Roon what planet are you on

2 Likes

It has good taste at least.

2 Likes

One way to make a positive of it I suppose.

3 Likes

“Stereo Lab” still finds zero of my many Stereolab Albums/EPs/Tracks

That will continue to be my measuring stick. Back to freshman year CS-101 boys and girls.

Resistance!

2 Likes

Mentioned elsewhere also, but trying to find Kate Bush’s “Aerial” should not crash the Roon Remote?
Just hold your typing a fraction of a second after “Aeri”…

If i try “antennae”, the album isn’t found… :smiley:

Wow (as Kate would say… ) couldn’t resist testing this, tried typing “Aerial” in search and Roon Remote crashed on my MacBook. That’s one weird bug.

1 Like

Worked fine for me on my Mac remote. Glad I checked as I’m enjoying the album right now. :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah same on MacBook, earlyaccess.

No crash the first time I tried, but then crashed the second attempt. May be dependent on exact timing or so

Some others recently:

3 Likes

Here’s a strange result – searching for “london calling” gets the track and composition to appear first in the preview (good), but the Clash album is no where in the preview (bad). It gets stranger: when you click through to “all results,” the Clash album appears at the top of the Albums category. So Roon gets it right in the full display, but wrong in the preview.

Please, please, please Roon devs. When I search and find something which appears in my library. Give me the library version not the streaming version.

8 Likes

Let’s say, for sake of discussion, as a lifetime Roon user, I continue to build my personal library of music. I become content with the personal library and no longer stream Tidal etc. Roon will then become a wonderful playback tool using the internet as a resource for music history, etc. Imagine my surprise when yesterday I wanted to “identify” an album I had just added to my personal library in Roon: The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary edition by U2. Also known as the Super Deluxe edition. A very popular album worldwide which was released in 1987. The 30th Anniversary edition was released in 2017. And for whatever reason, Roon was not able to identify it, even when using various title renditions to help the software identify it. Big fail. This has occurred with multiple albums. Especially disappointing with Roon pressuring users to adapt to the latest internet-only version of Roon. If this continues I foresee Roon receiving continued backlash, more then what is now happening. Somewhat of a shame when Roon is meant to enhance the enjoyment of music.

3 Likes

Bearing in mind that Roon doesn’t supply the metadata itself but accesses it from other providers, is it the 49 track version that you have added? Or a different iteration? I am aware that some versions of remastered/reissued CD’s are restricted by region, could this be what’s happening with you?

It’s a version that I can play via Tidal in Roon where I live. The fact that not one version of the 2017 30th anniversary release appears when identifying the album is a big flaw. This is not a territorial issue.

Easy there my friend, I’m only trying to help. Interestingly, if it is the 49 track version then it is identified as the Super Deluxe version where I am based.

You sure the metadata is correct. Is this ripped from a cd or digital purchase?

I see in Roons metadata sources 11 versions of The Joshua Tree released in 2017, only 5 are labelled as the 30th Anniversary version. There is 2 releases of 4 x cd version super deluxe, 1 x cd regular version, 2x cd version of the deluxe edition and another 2x cd version that doesn’t say it’s deluxe but has with same codes as the deluxe. There are various others that are not referred to as the 30th Anniversary edition these appear to be the digital releases of the the same CDs but named differently.

What does differ is MusicBrainz to almusic seems to have them labelled differently so perhaps this is why Roon is failing. Both the 4x cd versions and 48 track digital do not have super deluxe in the name. Not much Roon can do if there sources of metadata are different other than for them to asks them to change it. This is one for @joel perhaps.

Here they are in MusicBrainz which is used to identify albums

AllMusic which is used for metadata

1 Like

The metadata includes the album title (The Joshua Tree (Super Deluxe)), band name (U2), track titles / numbers, artwork, and year of release (1987). This is basic info that should, in theory, be easy to identify. I’ve also used various info details in additional searches with no luck, including “30th anniversary” edition. Roon, in every instance, doesn’t list any anniversary or super deluxe version to compare to. It offers up various “Joshua Tree Collections” with original album artwork, where 46 tracks don’t match.

I appreciate everyone’s input.

Is this the one you are interested in?

This is what Roon is giving me.