Roon Search Overhauled [2022-12] Update

Thank you for ALL your work on this. Seriously. I appreciate it.

Im as dumb as a tree stump when it comes to this stuff so I may not know what I ask.

when it comes to local vs cloud searches, is the situation that there is NO Roon Core powerful enough to take on this task, ergo, it must go to the cloud, or is it that Roon needs to factor in that some cores are slower than others and so search needs to be democratized, so all cores can take advantage of improvements?

The reason i ask: The cloud is a big place and the Tidal and Qobuz databases are a big place. But, material that I have added to my own Roon library is a much smaller place. Most the time when I’m searching for something I’m searching for some thing that is in my local library.

Could Roon be made to zero in on MY library when starting its search as I type? There’s zillions of results out there in streaming and if I want some thing I don’t currently have I’ll keep typing or I’ll sit there and wait a few seconds for Roon to search the world of streaming. But if it’s already in my library, I’d like to find it much quicker

This is not about being irritated about 100% Internet access needed by the way… This is more about fat fingered misspellings and then I hit enter and then I have to go back and hit the backspace key to fix what I typed. (E.g. looking for Lang Lang and typing “Lanf Lang”) rather than just being given close enough choices from my own added music.

I’d like to think that the computer could figure out based on my own library what I’m really trying to find even if I misspell it.

Again I’m a real dummy on this stuff so what I’m asking may just be ridiculous. I’m sure someone here will feel free to tell me that if it is! Thanks.

Just tested that and yes, you are correct.

1 Like

The ones it found did they have blue note in the name of the album? I just did a search earlier and anything under the label section already existed in my library. It does not search outside of your library for labels. I know it’s been requested I added my vote. But it’s not been added just like playlists cannot be searched that you don’t have already.

3 Likes

Just a few posts up, a delightfully comprehensive explanation from Roonlabs:

Thanks. I failed to see this.

1 Like

A good explanation of why :"“internet always on” is the way to .

Clearly there a few teething problems with the transition judging from the commentary, (BIG boxes seem to be an issue) but the joy of the cloud implementation is that change can be made rapidly in one place without the need for a public release and all the histrionics that normally go with it .

Given that our local power situation is tenuous to say the least I still agree with it. If we have power we have internet (usually)

This has already been reported , Christian name or Surname fails full name hits

Roon Search is never going to be Google in Roon’s Clothing … So

TRY

add one album of the artist in question (from Tidal/Qobuz) to your library. The Artist now exists in your Artist View, I just did it , never hear of him BTW so no cheating :smiling_imp:

Goto Artists View > Filter Funnel on Name
Select the “picture”
Goto Discography

Voila - Search is a relatively blunt instrument there are plenty of ways round it otherwise

More than one way to skin the cat :heart_eyes_cat:

This is obviously a very complex subject and I am not a technical person but all ever wanted from Roon search is incredibly simple: when I enter a word in the search e.g. summer, all I want in the TRACKS results are the songs in my library with that word in it so I can throw them in the queue and get a nice mix of themed songs (something I did with ease back in the old days when I used Squeezebox). What I don’t want are all the tracks that appear on any album with that word in it e.g. Summerteeth, Hissing of Summer Lawns etc. it seems simple and reasonable to me.

What you want is already there. I wont even bother to tell you how. :slight_smile:

Thanks for nothing.

Derek, rather than Search, I think you probably want to use the track title filter funnel in the Tracks view screen.

1 Like

You can limit search to just your local library with one click but as others have said it’s much easier and likely more accurate using the funnel filter.

1 Like

How do you do that? I have heard that mentioned a few times.

Filter funnel?

Thanks Joel, I’ll give that a go. Obvious when it’s pointed out, appreciate your help.

1 Like

I have just noticed there is a library “toggle” next to the funnel. I never remember seeing that before in 6 years using roon. So completely counter-intuitive for me. Others as well it looks like.

The filter funnel always filters only on the library.
I just recalled that if you use the search, there is a toggle with the library icon on the results page (top right I think, not at home right now) to restrict the results to the library. Seems logical to me but we are all different :slight_smile:

Click the library icon next to the funnel filter after you perform the search. You can’t activate it on the quick jump you have to enter the search then tell it to be library only.

As I say I never noticed it. But personally I have always found roon very un-intuitive.

It’s always been there but really should be an option before you search not after, but Roon is Roon and they have their own ways.