Roon Search - Weird Behaviour

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, core i7 4770, 16GB ram
Roon version 1.7 build 571

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear ORBI RBRv2, the core is connected via ethernet to a roon bridge device (Allo Digione)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

I use a Khadas Tone Board connected directly to the core via USB
and a roon bridge endpoint running diet-pi

Description Of Issue

Search gives me weird results.
For instance, I search for the term “Rocket Boy” (I have a song in my library with that exact title).
The first search result is a composition that’s not even in my library:

However the track does appear first in the track list section of the search results:

This is a recurring problem for me. It’s as if Roon always prefers to show me non library results for my queries. I get it if it’s a general search query but in this case I have an exact match with a track in my library.

Is this the intended behavior?

I think Roon offers what is the most popular choice for the search criteria over what’s in your library not the best solution in this scenario. I have found the same issue when looking for tracks also.

You can limit the search to your library … flick the switch *Only show my library *.

Since Rocket Boy is in your library, it should be indexed. As you type out Rocket Boy in the search box is Rocket Boy offered as a choice in the box below the search text box? If it is offered as a choice and you select it, do you get a different search result?

I tried your suggestion, and clicked the “Rocket Boy” option under the search box. However, I get the same exact result.

Just to cheer you up/annoy you even more/confuse you, I do not have Rocket Boy in my library but do get the track as the top result. (Though it is also marked as “unavailable” to stream). Go figure. I think the most charitable way you can describe the Roon search is “idiosyncratic”.

Um, let’s just say that’s not unexpected. It is, as they say, a work in progress…

I would be interested to know, from Roon, how they intend the search to behave. Then when it’s behaviour doesn’t match our expectations we could begin to understand why.

As you know @jez, I’m not Roon, but I’ve dealt with the search algorithm a lot.
My best guess, in simple terms, is that the result is the ‘best’ combination of the individual search words and a popularity contest. There are things they can do to tune it in different ways, but in the end we still have these odd results.
I have the Album “With These Hands” by Alejandro Escovedo. If I type in “With These Hands” I get the index words “With These Hands” (because its in my library) and I let it search for that. My top hit is “With These Hands”, a track from Pecan Tree by Joe Sample, which isn’t in my library. If I try to increase my odds of getting what I want and add “Escovedo” to With These Hands I get that album. If I miss spell Escovedo as ‘Escovado’, I get a Composition named “With These Hands” but not the album.
This isn’t good enough. One can see Roon will not go the structured search path some of us would prefer. Not gonna fight that. But I think a match against a users library should get more weight than a match against the Roon Community’s library.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, @grzlybear. I’ve passed this along to the team.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.