Roon seems to be not recognizing my Nucleus (?) and will only play through AirPlay

I’ve just factory reinstalled/restarted up my Blue OS/node and made sure that it connects to both zones (here and in Living Room); it does and plays well.

It happily recognizes nothing other than itself as being attached, in two zones, and it is correct.

Going into Roon-world, my “Connected to Core” only shows two listings: “1” and “2”. These were probably very clever names I gave SOMETHING AT SOME TIME but I can’t tell that either of them is the Node 2i AND there seems no way to delete them. They are simply “connected to your Core directly”. Under OTHER NETWORK DEVICES shows up the setup I just did in Bluesound as “Cool Listening Room & Fireplace Room” but ONLY CONNECTIBLE VIA AIR PLAY.

I would love to do a factory reset on the Nucleus, but can’t find out how to.

Hang in there with COVID; I’ve had it twice (and I’m in my late 60’s); it is manageable. You’ll get through it and – hopefully – be stronger for it. My wife just had it and, though I was near her before quarantining for a week, I tested positive and didn’t get it.

Instead, I got the flu about two days after she got healthy. I just recovered from that.

Time to laugh.

Jerry

After a few hours of work, it is…just doing the same thing. “Playing Roon” via Airplay only. Will consult with customer service on Monday.

It’s all good to be fair, just a bad head and chest cold for me.
Not great but should all be good in a couple of days.

I assume that 1 & 2 are USB connections from your Roon Core, if you click on the cogs it will tell you what they are.

Are you aware having anything plugged into your Nucleus?

I think the 1 & 2 connections are more likely to be the two HDMI connections.

Thanks Geoff I don’t have a Nuclues and unless I plug a USB I get nothing showing on mine at all.

I have a ROCK/NUC, which exposes an analog device and five HDMI devices (I just use one for my Denon AVR):

1 Like

I think that’s correct. Just connected to my network switch (one cable).

You likely disabled hdmi in the bios, my rock shows them if I leave them active in bios, this is normal behaviour for Rock or Nucleus.

Sounds like to me something is blocking the broadcasts Roon needs, mdns seems to be working fine as it’s seeing the AirPlay input to the Nodes.

I would power down the Nucleus give all the network gear a reboot as well as the nodes and then power up.

What type/make of switch is being used? Again post how all things are connected together starting with your isp modem/router to the nodes and Nucleus. Without this we are all shooting blind and support will want this info to.

@Jerry_Sander the Nodes will not show as connected to core that section is purely for DACs etc directly connected via USB or a HDMI cable. Did you buy the Nucleus new or 2nd hand? Disable the HDMI outputs that show up in Connected to the core as they are not needed.

Also check your nodes are running the latest firmware. You can check this via their app.

1 Like

Your right I did, I never wanted to use it and was annoying to see.
Now I get all the Windows ones instead :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jerry I just been through the Blusound app and there are no settings around Roon settings.
So if you reboot your Nucleus like @CrystalGipsy suggests and see if anything shows up.
Mine is always automatically there, even if I disable it.

Also try the BluOS app on your phone as mine always shows up in there as Roon Ready (on the left hand overflow menu) and see if it shows anything up there.
Also just check the network settings on the BluOS ap and make sure it is not picking up some spurious WiFi network which is stopping Roon seeing it.

Thank you all for your help. I’m giving up for today.

Roon: you are being bested, on my system, by Bluesound, whose Node is communicating to both nodes in HR. Meanwhile my inscrutable Nucleus – which I’m losing fondness for more by the moment – will only do Air Play.

Yes, it is a new-purchased Nucleus (from Roon directly) and now is pretty unusable. I suppose I need 3-4 more hours on the web/emails/phone/etc. with people to get it to…play music just like my Bluesound?

Bleahhhhhhh…yes, I know: post my exact set-up, addresses, etc…

1 Like

Did you have a working setup before getting the Nucleus ? If so what was it was it setup the same it Is it a new purchase and nee to Roon? Problems arises from this mainly due to local network problems not the device itself. So follow our advice thet we have given and if it continues then let support take over when they return.

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus (purchased directly from Roon).

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Dear Folks, Please help.

1. I have a Bluesound Node 2i connected via RCA cables to my amplifier, and connected via Ethernet to the internet, via a solid network switch. It plays WELL, into my listening room and to the fireplace room, which has another Bluesound Node 2i connected to powered speakers. Lossless sound, beautifully rendered.

2. I have a Nucleus connected via Ethernet to the same network switch. The Nucleus Core has recently been reset after much frustration trying to get everything to work and failing. (It would only play via Air Play.) After two days of trying, and much advice from others here’s the result: it only plays via Air Play.

3. Under Audio (settings) it shows two devices “Connected to Core”. I have labeled these both Bluesound NODE 2i, hoping that at least one of them is right. They have down ALSA under each.

4. Under Roon Ready is another Device Info: Bluesound NODE 2i (likely the one in the other room?).

5. My Nucleus isn’t completely broken; it DOES play – but only sends the signal via AirPlay. I.e., it doesn’t “go through my system” as set up, doesn’t interact with my Bluesound Node 2i at all, as far as I can determine (nor it, with the Nucleus) and I do not get lossless signal sent anywhere.

I am enormously upset and left with getting far better sound out of a $500 unit plugged into my amp than a $1,700 unit that refuses to play through it.

Please advise and help me fix it? Or restart it from scratch and reinstall everything so that it actually works?

Jerry

The node should look like the top one, which is a node.

If I understand the description correctly:

If the Node of connected via Ethernet, you don’t choose it on the admin web page of the Nucleus (is this what you tried? Not sure). It should be possible to set it up in the settings as in @ged_hickman1’s screenshot above, then choose it as the output zone from within your Roon Remote app:

If I am on the wrong track or if this is not working, screenshots of your Remote app might help

Probably worth adding in the rest of the info requested…and while you are at it also note the software verion of the Nodes too

You should not label both the same, it will only cause confusion and make discussion/troubleshooting harder. Separate them out by another identifier. Like 'Node - Wasapi" or “Node - ASIO”, “Node-USB”, "Node-Fireplace"etc. What were they originally called?

Connected to Core section presents audio devices that are present on the core, usually via a physical connection like USB, Coax SPDIF, Toslink, HDMI, etc. A Node connected via ethernet or Wifi should be seen under Roon Ready. It might also be seen under Other Network devices for Airplay and/or other network protocols.

This is where you will/should find your Ethernet connected devices. If you have 2 Node 2i, I would unplug both of them from the ethernet. Reboot the Nucleus. Then plug in ONLY the one you are having issues with. Is it seen now? Can you play music to it via Roon Ready?

If so, then, plug in the other Node. Is it seen too, or, is it now unreachable via Roon Ready.

Jerry I thought that Geoff confirmed these were the HDMI connections

@Jerry_Sander - please don’t kick off another Support request that duplicates your previous request. I’ve merged your second request into this, your existing thread. Let’s keep everything together - it will help the Support team to resolve your issue more quickly as well.

As has been said, the two ALSA connections on your Nucleus are the two HDMI connections on the Nucleus itself - labelling these as your Bluesound Node connection won’t help, because your Node is presumably out on the network.

The question is, why isn’t your Nucleus seeing your (second) Node on the network as a Roon Ready device? That’s what has to be worked on.

1 Like

So another thought, what is the potential of the network stopping the discovery of the device’s over RAAT.

Not something I have seen before, buy has anyone else seen this?

Looking at the network from the first posts it is a flat Ethernet network, all in 192.168.7.X subnet.
All the devices that we were discussing were on Ethernet from memory.

Is that all correct Jerry?