Roon sending to Sennheiser AMBEO sound bar

System:

• Asus ROG Strix Z370-I 16 GB RAM
  • 1.5 TB NVME storage
  • Core I5 8600K @ 3.6GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 18362.356(1903/May 2019 Update)
  • Roon Version 1.6 (build 416) stable(64-bit)

Network:

• 180/6Gb/s Coaxial (cable) to Asus RT-AC-88U (Gig wifi & ethernet)
  • Core is on ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Wi-Fi : Sennheiser AMBEO Sound bar (url: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/ambeo-soundbar)

Description Of Issue
I want to use Roon to send multichannel DSD audio to the AMBEO soundbar. It requires LPCM stereo/multi channel sound. Roon only recognizes the ChromeCast on the device and not the UPNP/DLNA ports

ChromeCast down mixes 5.1 to stereo, so I assume it cannot handle multichannel, thus my only option is UPNP/DLNA and I gather that is not supported by Roon.

Is that where this ends or am I missing something (hopefully).

Thanks,

-Steve

Why not listen to music in stereo? That’s my preference.

:slight_smile: my usual preference too:-), however I have quite a few 5.1 DSD tracks (DSF actually) and I really want to hear them.

I didn’t know they recorded music in 5.1 other than movies, etc.

Yes, I have ~35 of them ranging from classical to rock - and some jazz all multichannel. Most come with stereo and 5.1 versions + redbook

So, you’re not watching/listening to a band. You’re in the band.

There you go.

Roon won’t send to upnp DLNA so won’t support this.

Roon hold VERY strong opinions about DNLA , they have repeatedly said that they will never support it hence writing RAAT from the ground up to circumvent it . There has been a lot of commentary on the forum about this as many lower end streamers do not support RAAT.

I run 2 servers on my Core PC (Win 10 , i7, 16 gb RAM) for that reason I need DLNA to feed my Samsung Soundbar and my video streamer . I keep JRiver running in parallel and read the audio library into both libraries , thankfully they play nice together.

1 Like

I think you’ll only get multichannel working with Roon if you can find a way to connect to the sound bar by HDMI.

1 Like

That’s what was in the back of my mind but don’t know anything about 5.1. just RAAT Vs universal definitely not pnp :slight_smile:

I use Roon RAAT through my Oppo 203 then HDMI to Bose soundbar, rear surrounds, and subwoofer. I always turn off the rear surrounds to listen in stereo. I don’t know, but I assume if RAAT could transmit 5.1 to my Oppo, I could listen to it. As I posted earlier, I didn’t know anyone recorded music in 5.1.

Thanks Mike - that’s a great idea.

Agreed, I have that working with another PC but I don’t like having to use another PC. I like the idea of running another streamer on my server as Mike noted

@Jim_F, here’s a link to a 5.1 SACD

Hi @Mike_O_Neill,

I did as you suggested - non-trivial in my case, but it does work very well. I have multichannel sound going to my Sennheiser Ambeo bar. And Roon is running alongside playing nice.
Thanks again for the suggestion.

-Steve

I see the blue ray version of 2019 Abbey Road has Dolby Atmos sound , as well as 5.1 and good old stereo

I see also that Amazon have chosen Atmos as well, not sure when

Yes, and the Sennheiser has Atmos as well (its a 5.1.4 system in a single bar), however, its not clear if that will work over DLNA.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.