Roon Server performance degradation over time

@RBM Interesting you shut down every night. Recently my RoonServer is very slow after it is on for some time over 24 hours. The NUC is otherwise performing just fine. If I reboot, all is good and Roon is crisp and fast. Odd.

[quote=“fritzg, post:98, topic:10138”]
Interesting you shut down every night. Recently my RoonServer is very slow after it is on for some time over 24 hours. The NUC is otherwise performing just fine. If I reboot, all is good and Roon is crisp and fast. Odd.
[/quote] I’ve experienced the same leaving Roon running 24/7 for a period of 2 weeks or so. Restarting Roon restored performance.

A @evand notes there are some reports of sluggishness over time with long running Roon Server. Could people experiencing that please post here with their system and software details and we’ll try and see if some common features can be identified for replication.

Roon Server on Arch Linux
Roon database on dedicated SSD
Music stored locally to same machine (i5, 16GB RAM)

Just for the record since this subject has been split off: I only start and stop Roonserver nightly (using cron) to make a safe backup of the Roon database (also through cron, Roonserver cannot be running while copying the database) – not because I was experiencing any sluggishness.

I have stopped the backups & stop/start routine for a few days weeks to see whether I can replicate this.

It took closer to 2 weeks on my side to slow enough I restarted it.

OK – weeks it is. :slight_smile:

It took a couple weeks for me at first but it became sluggish again after 24 hours last night.

I am running RoonServer on an i5 NUC, 8 GB RAM, Ubuntu server, Roon database on a dedicated SSD and music stored locally on an HD.

Roon Version 1.2, MacMini (Mid 2011) 2.5GHz, Intel Core i5, 8 GB, OS X 10.11.5 (El Capitan), External iTunes library on Seagate GoFlex 1TB external drive connected via Firewire. Running Roon Remote on iMac (Mid 2012 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 Yosemite) via wired ethernet. 3200 albums, 27K tracks.

If what is meant by sluggish is having the jellyfish appear on screen for more than a moment, then sluggish for me is searches taking much longer than usual. Or when returning to the Overview screen. The red/pink network loading warning label appearing above the transport controls. This happens usually first thing after Roon sits idle overnight.

Exiting Roon on both machines and restarting Roon has been my solution for this. It has been about 48 hours since I last had to do this.

1 Like

Sluggish for me can sometimes be 10+ seconds to load an album vs ordinarily instantaneous, 30+ seconds to save manually identified albums, playback not starting when selected… instead currently playing stream continues, repeated presses of play queues each in a delayed sequence of events that has you thinking the system has become unresponsive.

Yep. Me too to what @evand just said.

I agree with@evand. Same issues running roon on an iMac,Ethernet to apple router, then onto sonic orbiter SE. All componenents on the later st releases. Notice Tidal issues with cover art not showing up. Restart roon solves this. Restarted Three times this week.

Weird. I have not rebooted in 2 months on one server, win 7 64, running Roon 32 bit, and just as fast as ever.

Are Linux and OS X a common factor ? Anyone seeing it in Windows ?

I get error loading page. And very slow search, slow loading albums in Tidal after a few days.
It does not help restarting Roon, Only way to solve it is to disable Tidal and renter username and password.

I use a i5 Haswell NUC, 8 GB ram, 128 SSD Arch Linux.
I thing that the first Linux build released had faster search on local library faster start playing a album.
I think it was faster when I was trailing on Windows 10 running on 2009 iMac i7 this was Roon 1.1

The general experience seems to be that Roon runs considerably quicker under Linux compared with Windows.

I am wondering if this is caused by Tidal service on Linux?

I had to restart again first tried to restart Roon but that did not help, then I tried to disable Tidal. But no luck. Then I logout of Tidal and then re added Tidal.
So now it takes 8-10 seconds which is still much slower than the 1-2 it takes in the Tidal app on my iPhone to load a playlist. But before readding Tidal again it took 30-40 seconds.

Could Tidal slow everything down because of Roon both searching my local library and Tidal?

Is it wrong to expect same speed as in iOS Tidal app when loading a playlist from Tidal?

I’m not using Tidal at all.

As written on another thread I see it slow on Linux AND Windows since the last Build.

I have roon server running on the latest mac mini, I find over time the music drops in and out when playing, the files are stored on the local drive and mostly flac.
If I reboot the Mac it solves the problem, but overtime it come back again which is quite annoying… Th mac is a dedicated roon server as I am still waiting which seem like foreever for the the PS Audio Bridge version
Any advice ?