Roon server behaviour when Win 10 asleep/suspended

I recently moved my Roon Server to a laptop (a super powerful gaming laptop). What I really like about it is: at the end of the day all I have to do is close the laptop lid, and the laptop goes to sleep. The next day, I open the lid and that’s it! I don’t have to do anything else and the Roon Server is back up in no time.

In the last two days, I noticed, there is a change in behavior. Now, when I open the laptop, Roon server goes to rescan all my drives, and that is quite a few. So now it takes time before I can get to my music, plus the drives are getting worn down with all the unnecessary re-scanning.

To me, the original was the correct behavior. All that happened was sleep and wake up without any re-scanning.

How can I get back to that behavior? Is there a setting I can set on either Windows 10 or Roon Server?

Thanks,
Goran

Hi @G_Man,

Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage?

How many tracks total are in your library?

Is the music stored on an internal drive of the laptop or elsewhere?

I restart my core PC almost daily , I live in a high lightening strike area Johannesburg so it’s safer

I get the same effect, the Pc whirs away for quite some time, much less if Roon isn’t auto started on booting

Hi Dylan,

250k tracks.

Music is stored on several NAS drives on the local LAN.

Thanks,
Goran

I set the rescan option on all of them to “only on startup”, but they are still being scanned every time the laptop wakes up from sleep.

Hi @G_Man,

Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage?

Can you describe your networking setup? What networking hardware is in use and how are your Core and NAS connected to the network?

There is either zero or one gigabit network switch between the Roon server and any one of my NAS. It is all wired network.

Thanks,
Goran

Not to forget the gigabit switch which is part of router. So up to maximum of 2 switches in the path.

Hi @G_Man,

What is the model of router and switch in use here?

Looking at your screenshots, I notice a couple of watched folders don’t have any tracks. Is there a reason those are added?

Moving forward, I’d like to enable diagnostics so the team can take a closer look. Before I do so, may I ask that you please reproduce this behavior once more (wake the machine) and note the time that you see scanning start. Respond here with that time, along with your timezone, and I’ll be sure to enable diagnostics.

Thanks!

Hi Dylan,

The router is ASUS RT-AC55U, the switch is a Netlink 8-port unmanaged gigabit switch.

The two links without tracks are brand new shares on a new NAS, currently empty but they won’t be empty in the future.

I will message the time when scanning starts tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

Hi Dylan,

The scanning started at 4:50pm.

Thanks,
Goran

All the drives are marked as automatically rescan “Only on Startup”, so in my mind Roon should not be re-scanning upon waking up from sleep state.

Hi @G_Man,

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. I’ll have the team take a look at the diagnostics report and will be sure to let you know as soon as I receive their feedback.

Thanks!

Hi @dylan,

I am not sure I understand: I gave you the time when the most re-scan started, but you enabled the diagnostics a few hours later - when the re-scan was already done.

So I don’t think your diagnostics will catch anything unless I make the Roon Server Windows 10 go to sleep and wake up again - which of course I am happy to do.

As it is, i left Roon Server up all night, because performance of search and play is terrible while he is re-scanning.

When do you plan to turn off the diagnostics?

Thanks,
Goran

As far as I understand, Roon grabs the logs from the time period you specified.

Hi @G_Man,

I wanted to reach out because I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers, waiting for the aforementioned diagnostics report.

For some reason it is not reaching our servers, even after I tried re-enabling diagnostics on your account. I also ran a quick test and I was able to submit a similar report from my setup here, so something else is going on.

So we can move forward, I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link. We will need logs from your Core machine.

Hi @dylan,

Sent you the logs earlier today. Hope you can find something in there.

Thanks,
Goran

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.