ROON Server Crashing extremely regularly

Roon Core Machine

Model: Macmini7,1, BootROM 474.0.0.0.0, 2 processors, Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 1,4 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 2.24f32
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000, Intel HD Graphics 5000, Built-In
Display: HDP-V104, 3840 x 2160 (2160p/4K UHD 1 - Ultra High Definition), Main, MirrorOff, Online
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x483943434E4E4E424C54424C41522D4E5444
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x483943434E4E4E424C54424C41522D4E5444

Networking Gear & Setup Details

NetGear Gigabit switches throughout. Wired connection to the Mac mini with Cat8 cables. No VPN. TP-Link DECO mesh WiFi system where the main DECO serves as the DHCP server

Connected Audio Devices

No audio devices to the server. Server is dedicated and runs in headless mode.

Number of Tracks in Library

2854 Albums
28796 Tracks

Description of Issue

This message is for ROON staff.

This problem has started in earnest after the last major update to the new Roon.

ROON server crashes randomly, sometime more than once a day. With recent bug fixes, there have been less regular crashes.

Each time a crash happens my Mac prepares a crash report and this report is submitted.

I have not found a way to avoid the crash reports and to just make Roon Server relaunch.

I am running the Mac mini headless, so each time I have a crash, I need to access server through Screen Share, submit the crash report and relaunch Roon.

I can’t attach the latest crash report in this text neither can I attach a file.

My subscription is up for renewal in 4 weeks time. I love ROON but I have switched off autorenewal because I believe that ROON doesn’t provide me with a quality service.

I am ready to ugrade my hardware if it is certain that this will solve my problem.

I wish to stay with Mac and would consider the new Mac mini M2. If you beleieve that this will solve my problem, how much RAM will I need?

I have also noticed that ROON doesn’t have a dedicated Apple Silicon software and that ROON is running in Rosetta.

Are you planning to migrate to a universal version optimised for Apple Silicon and if so, when?

Thank you.

I know, you didn’t invite fellow users to the table, but you’re absolutely outdated regarding your quote, see https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-2-0-20-sep-2022-is-live/213418, where it clearly states

• Release of native binaries for macOS devices using Apple Silicon
  • Implementation of native .NET framework on macOS

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Arc freezes (iPhone) after the upgrade

You are of course right about Apple Silicon. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hey @August_Keder,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! And I’m sorry to hear you’re running into issues with your Mac core crashing. What OS are you currently running on the Mac?

If possible, could you share the crash report generated by Apple? You can upload the report here. We’re currently working on a known issue with Roon crashing on some Mac cores running Ventura.

Depending on what the crash report shows, we do have a workaround many users have found useful while we work on this known issue. The workaround involves temporarily running Roon Server rather than the full Roon app. You can read more about this here:

Roon 2.0 - Crashing on MacOS due to ".NET ThreadPool Worker" [Roon Investigating] - #68 by ged_hickman1.

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

Hello Roon,

I have uploaded the crash report.

Meanwhile, I had already taken the step to migrate to Roon Server a few days ago following instructions on your web site and so far Roon Server seems to run smoothly and without crashes. Actually, Roon Server is a better solution for me because the Mac Mini is running headless without any audio outputs connected.

Roon Server also seems to use less system resources, which is nice.

I am running macOS Monterey 12.6.3 on the Mini.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.