Roon Server does not start automatically after NAS reboot

I have NAS Synology DS918 +. Roon works perfectly. Now the NAS is turned off during the night. After restarting Roon is no longer available.
I have to restart the roon ab manual in the “parcel center”. Is there a possibility that the Roon server starts automatically?

Greetings Markus

Normally it should start automatically. I have seen cases, where external disks are not fully mounted, when RoonServer starts. Especially on disks with exfat filesystems this seems to occur more likely.
Does that also apply to your setup?

I have an external SSD connected. This is formatted in ext4 format.

Would you mind testing a new version, which might solve this issue?

I just added a check if the database location directory is available. If not, it waits 5 seconds and checks again (It does this 5 times before giving up).

It continues to be a problem. Need to start the server manually after each reboot/startup…

Hi @RoonFan999,
I’m not sure if you meant to post in this topic or not, but in order for you to get the best advice could you add some more details to the issue you are having.

If it’s not related to this topic, then is best to start a new topic on in the support section of forum.

The thread is correct. I have Roon Server installed on Synology NAS (RS3617xs). It would not start automatically after NAS restart/startup, so I have to do it manually in the DS “Package Center”. Otherwise it works great.

I am trying for some time to replicate this behaviour, but I was unable to do so.
Can you specify how your external disk is formatted? (exFat, ext4, …?)

It’s NTFS.

Formatted disk to ext4, reinstalled Roon Server - the issue is not fixed…

Hi, I have the same issue here and the same set up like Markus. Roon Server on a Synology with USB-C connected ssd formatted to Synology file system. To save energy I have a boot schedule to shutdown the NAS each night. Not a good Idea if I have restart the server each day manually. Everything else runs smoothly.

I can report the same problem. I discovered that Roon server did not start after my last Synology (DS1819+) reboot. It used to start before. I am not sure what changed. Roon version is the latest. External SSD formatted in ext4 connected via USB. Is there any way I can help track down this problem?

So that I don’t have to restart Roon every day, I installed Roon on the hard disk and not on the ext. SSD. So Roon always starts automatically after restarting Synology.
But it would be good if there was a solution to this problem. Would rather run Roon on the SSD.

Did you notice any problems/slowdowns/stuttering after you installed it on the HDDs?

It’s a little slower. I have no dropouts. My audio files from NAS are FLAC. Works well with multiple zones.
I would also prefer to run Roon on the external SSD. Apparently there is still no solution.

Roon Server on my external SSD formatted ext4 never start automatically after power failure NAS (DS1813+) reboot. Is there only way to solve the issue moving server to HDD? Thank you!

Moved ROON to HDD. Do not see any slowdowns or other issues.

Hi Christopher,

until a few days ago it worked perfectly starting whenever the Synology started. However now it never starts reliable. When I start the service manually, it always works on first try. Could I please try testing your new version?

Cheers,
Bilbo

Hi @bilbo_baggins,
there is currently a testing version on roononnas.org. It has changes, how the Roon database directory is being accessed. It would be an interesting insight, if this version changes something in regards to this issue. Unfortunately I was never able to reproduce this on my Synology device.
The testing version is labeled Currently Testing: v2020-06-24 (beta).

Hi Christopher,

I just updated my system with the beta-version and will let you know after next start of my Syno if Roon came up automatically again.

Cheers,
bilbo

1 Like