Roon Server Dropping - Lost Connection, issue loading database, etc

Roon ROCK NUC

Intel BXNUC10i7FNH Core i7-10710U 6-Core NUC Mini PC, 2.5" Drive Bay

Storage Drive: Crucial BX500 2TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD, up to 540MB/s - CT2000BX500SSD1
SSD OS Drive: Transcend 128GB Nvme PCIe Gen3 X4 MTE110S M.2 SSD Solid State Drive TS128GMTE110S

System Status

Serial #1C697A624DF7

Operating System

Version 1.0 (build 227) stable

Running 1 minute, 50 seconds.

Roon Server Software

Version 1.7 (build 667) stable

Running 0 minutes, 13 seconds.

Roon Database & Settings

94% of 114 GB available.

Internal Music Storage

2000GB, CT2000BX500SSD1 39% of 1848 GB available
Networking

• Ethernet
    Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

**Network Details Synology RT2600ac connected via ethernet
Macbook Pro 2012ish remote
Iphone 6s Plus
Streaming to:
Allo DigiOne Signature connecting to Airport Express via ethernet (but the Airport Express is wirelessly connected to Synology router - extending network and airplay source).

The Allo DigiOne is running Ropieee XL and I have no problem connecting to it via the IP address listed in my router…

**Audio Devices
Schiit Modi 3 DAC takes optical output from DigiOne and outputs to vintage Yamaha receiver via RCA cables.

Problem:
connection is flaky, doesn’t show on Roon software on MacBook - flips in and out of connection - eventually has fatal problem “There was an issue loading your database”

I can reboot/reset/restart the NUC/ROCK via http://192.168.1.20/, but the problem remains. I do not have any issues with accessing the ROCK/NUC’s files through Finder on the MacBook.

Synology Firewall is turned off (I think - I don’t have anything checked/enabled to run in the Security/Firewall gui.

I have reinstalled the OS a couple of times, and I can control the NUC for a little while via the MacBook but it eventually fails and I get the loading screen/lost connection and ultimately the “there was an issue loading your database”

I’m not super savvy with the Synology/networking settings and I am hoping someone can point me to some newbie setting I have which is causing the flaky behavior.

Previously this system was running fine on an Airport Time Capsule Router. I’m pretty confident it is something I have put in the Synology settings which is screwed up.

Thanks,
Steve

You might be having two separate issues. The dropping in/out of the endpoint could indeed be network related. But, the error with the database on the Core points to a different issue.

No matter what the issue, I’d make sure you have a Roon backup from before the first “database cannot be loaded” error.

Thanks… I think my issue has been my use of a VPN. Roon doesn’t seem to enjoy working alongside private internet access VPN for some reason. It works OK when I turn it off. I expect it is a licensing issue.

Hi @Steve_Sand,

A VPN can definitly cause issues with Roon running properly, so do disable the VPN when you want to use Roon.

Is this a common occurrence? I would not expect running a VPN to cause a database issue.
Do you keep regular backups of your Roon database?

Can you please use these instructions to send me a copy of the Roon logs on your ROCK?

1 Like

Hi Noris,

Roon seems way more challenged when I have the VPN going. Not sure why, but it freaks out when loading the music I have on the SSD in the NUC (when I try to start it and observe from my mac running vpn - connected to my router via ethernet).

I back up Roon every four days and have uploaded my logs here (couldn’t get dropbox to delete all my old stuff and recalculate the storage I have available):

Thanks,
Steve

It fell apart again today. Nice thing to happen on a Sunday afternoon. Not sure what I might have done wrong/different.

Hi @Steve_Sand,

I’ve requested access to the log files, can you please also upload a new log set to the folder when you have a chance? I want to take a look to see if there were any errors on Sunday.

Done. Still having issues today. Can’t find the server, there was an issue loading your database, etc.

I just reset the database and settings. It is reloading music - I’ll update when it is complete.

Now I have the “There was an issue loading your database” screen glaring at me again. Sigh. Good thing for Roon I bought a lifetime subscription…

enable IGMP snooping on the Synology if it isn’t yet.

Roon uses multicast to connect remotes to the core and it working for a short while can be a symptom of this.

It is enabled… dang. I have very low skill levels in the router/NAS/network area, so I appreciate any help/suggestions. Thanks Chris!

If it’s enabled then disable it. It’s a tricky one, sometimes just toggling it helps.

I reset the database and reloaded the tunes. Seemed to be working normally now.
And then I disabled IGMP and re-enabled it on the synology. No adverse results. Not super scientific changing multiple things, but… hopefully that fixed it. I’ll check back in if something changes. Or… In a week if no other hiccups result.
I appreciate the help/suggestions, folks!
Steve

2 Likes

Hello @Steve_Sand,

I wanted to check in with you, since resetting the database, has Roon been operating as expected?

Have you started with a fresh database or have you restored from one of your Roon backups?

I reset and reloaded my database, but it has crashed again. Can’t find the core, the Roon emblem just does the sine wave thing and spins. I have the Mac I’m using as a gui to run Roon and the ROCK connected to the synology router via ethernet. Not sure what I should do now.

1 Like

Hi @Steve_Sand,

Thanks for confirming that the issue is still ongoing.

I’ve enabled a deeper diagnostics mode for your Core and I believe I see the issue here, the system-level logs are indicating hardware errors.

Its hard to say for sure where the hardware issue lies, but logs are suggesting the NVME SSD is the primary fault (RAM could also be an option, but less likely based on your logs).

Do you have another SSD that you can try to use with your ROCK? You can also try to load up another OS on the ROCK machine and run a disk check tool to verify SSD integrity.

Yep. Hopefully it is something that simple. I’ll try that in the next day or so and get back to you. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I think that may have done it. I replaced the 128 gig SSD and it even seems to be working with my VPN hooked up. I’ll try to check back in a week or two to give another update.

Thanks to Noris and everyone who had suggestions. I appreciate the help!
Steve

1 Like

That’s fantastic news @Steve_Sand, let us know how it works out!