Roon Server for QNAP (x64) is officially available in the QNAP AppCenter!

I was thinking of maybe moving my core over as well when I make the jump, so powerfull enough to run Roon Core for the next few years. Any model numbers I should check out that have recieved good reviews?

How much is crazy expensive? I have been using a QNAP TVS-471 for a year now and have never had any issues. Loading it up with an SSD and NAS hard drives can definitely drive up the cost considerably more than the QNAP itself. I installed a 512 SSD and three Western Digital 6TB Red Pro hard drives in a RAID 5 array. My music is about 1.5TB of space so far which is for me about 3K CDs and 28,000 tracks. Buying the right NAS at this point depends on how big your library is and how big you plan to grow it over time. I am ripping my entire CD collection to my NAS. I made my decision based on the fact that I will probably use this particular QNAP for at least five years before I upgrade it to a newer, better, faster one. The Celereons and others will certainly work but if Roon keeps adding features like DSP and other cool stuff who knows how good an investment that chip will be in the future.

Have Roon as my core on the PC in my study. I listen in my study as well as with Ayre QX5 Twenty on my main system in the basement. Tried to do the install on QNAP, but error occurred with message that there is no shared file. Help! I want to be able to still listen in the study through the computer as well.

Hi @Edward_Schreiber,
Make sure, you have set up a RoonServer shared folder on your QNAP. This can also be done in the QNAP web configuration. You can also find information about the installation process here.

Hi guys,
I have installed RoonServer successfully on my QNAP TS-251, I think my QNAP is not recommended to run Roon, but I find it run smoothly and no drop outs at all.
I have 1 x 250GB Samsung EVO SSD in 1 slot as Roon database, and 1 x 4TB Seagate hard drive for music library. The library has about 40k songs and around 20 DSD albums.
While streaming I have no lag, no drop outs and delay while playing lossless albums, however when playing DSD album, I notice the signal path show “1x” which is not very good, but again no drop outs or delay on DSD tracks at all.

I’m thinking to upgrade to 8gb (currently 4gb) RAM and hope it will help improve the performance.

3 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Core will not update to v1.3 build 274 on QNAP NAS [RESOLVED]

So, briefly, if I set up an external SSD via USB, is migrating the existing database over to it simply a matter of formatting and naming the SSD, and then deleting or renaming the old database?

Hi, I am thinking of replacing my old QNAP TS-459 Pro II with a newer one. The TVS-473e looks great. Now it has an AMD série R RX-421BD. The CPU seems to be based on the x86 architecture. Now I would like to make sure. Does anybody know if Roon Server would be able to run on it ?
Cheers

Since a week, I have the TVS-473e here as well (next to a TVS-471 with i7 cpu), and it is working great so far…
But I have not done a proper performance comparison yet.

Thanks for your prompt answer

I am moving from a Mac Mini based setup to a NAS setup. I do not have a streamer - the Mini is currently acting as a core/server and is connected directly to the DAC via USB.

If I move the Server section to the NAS, can I still use the Mini as Control and Output point? This way, the Mini can connect to the NAS via Ethernet, and feed the DAC via USB.

Or am I totally misunderstanding the whole thing and I’m better off keeping the Core/Server on the Mini ?

Yes you can do that.

This QNAP package made the transition to Roon a most straightforward experience. Prior to running Roon Server on a 453BT3, I was running Minimserver for a couple of Linn streamers and Logitech Media Server for some old Squeezebox devices. Now, I’ve got Roon as the sole music source for all these devices.

Furthermore, I appreciate the Last FM integration that’s available for all the devices. I could never get Scrobbles from the Linn DSM to work. The only LMS add-on that I miss is the MusicIP analysis used to generate playlists with similar “musical fingerprints”.

Many thanks.

1 Like

I miss music ip too.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Is there a problem with the most recent version on QNAP?

Is 2017-10-13 still the latest version of Roon in the App Store?

Oh after researching found a newer version at https://www.qnap.com/de-de/app_center/con_show.php?op=showone&internalName=RoonServer&version=2018-06-14&down_1_name=TS-NASX86&jump_win=1&qts=4.3.4&seq=173
But why is this one not displayed in the QNAP appstore?! There is still says the 2017-10-13 is the latest

This is only applicable if you stream from your local library on the NAS. It would be the same as before if you stream Qobuz/Tidal.

I don’t know, but all your installed apps shown in the screenshot are outdated. Music Station is on 5.3.11, Photo Station on 6.0.8 b.t.w. the current QTS (the QNAP NAS OS) version is 4.4.2.1320. Please check.

I updated them. Not the firmware - which was never a problem with QNAP and won’t be as there are no features involved.
Unfortunately this major bug is affecting many Roon users.