ROON server installed on DS720+ NAS (Intel Celeron J4125) and works really well

By coincidence just found this thread:

I used to run RoonServer on my Synology 218+ (with full RAM) but eventually gave up due to the poor performance (at that time about 80k music library, mostly FLAC but few HiRes files and no DSP) and went for a fanless Cirus Nimimbi NUC with ROCK an internal 4TB SSD.
Performance is great but reading this thread a DS720+ would also be capable of doing the job and I could reduce the box count in my home.

So I am tempted to swap my DS218+ for a DS720+, or is there anything which should prevent me from doing so?

I am using some Roon DSP features (downsampling to 48k/44k for HiRes files to run on my late 90s LINN NUMERIK DAC and intend to do Room correction using Convolution with Inversion (no EQ filters, all FIR!) but understand from this thread that the 723+ should be capable of doing the job.

Did anyone try the new Synology DS723+ yet?

Just chiming in on this. Using Roon for a few months now. Core installed on a 920+ with 20gb ram. Working fine. Easily runs two end points from Tidal. Not gotten to heavy into dsp yet. CPU runs around 5 to 8% and ram at 10 to 15% with two streams pulling. Plex and Surveillance Station also running in background. ARC also works good, just had to open ports in router.

3 Likes

IIRC THE NVMe slots in synology devices are only for cache and can’t be used as a volume to install the Roon database.

@crieke maybe Chris can chime in in this. AFAIK this is not a limitation for QNAP

3 Likes

This is also my current info. I have not heard of any changes in this regard.

2 Likes

Running a DS1621+ with 20GB RAM, 13.9TB of storage across 6 drives and a 400G read cache. Works beautifully for 3x Roon end points, Plex Media Serve and Download Station. Building a new home presently and intend to add 4x cameras with Surveillance Station.

I did try running Windows VM’s on it out of curiosity though that messed with Roon working correctly and I had no real reason to be running them.

Roon ARC works beautifully on CD quality in the car over wireless CarPlay to my Alpine head unit. Have a BYD Seal on the way and plan to get Roon ARC installed on the Android Auto infotainment system along with Google Maps and Google Calendar though that’s about it really. :grinning:

2 Likes

Nice!

I can’t resist :slight_smile:

If you’re doing new construction, hopefully you’re running drops for wired ethernet (perhaps even including a plan for where access points might go) throughout your house. Many of us on this forum use UniFi gear throughout our homes for WiFi, switching, and routing. If you plan ahead, during construction, you have the opportunity to really do it right. In my case, for example, I use in-wall access points and have a centralized switch which drives them over PoE. I also use UniFi cameras using their Protect app.

I am a very heavy Synology NAS user but I strongly prefer the UniFi Protect setup (including cameras and doorbells) to the Surveillance Station approach, which I used in my last house. The entire setup is just great. If you build around a UDM Pro, that single device can act as your router, firewall, and can run Protect including having the recording drive hosted directly in it.

All you need to do is run PoE capable ethernet to the locations at which you want your cameras mounted and then provide PoE based power to them one way or another.

Anyhow…I just couldn’t resist mentioning this since it sounds like you’re in the construction phase.

3 Likes

Yep, getting everything hard wired yes but only in the initial planning stages with the architect so don’t even have the floor plan just yet.

I’ll be sticking with my Firewalla Gold / TP-Link Deco BE95 wireless mesh combo though including CAT8 runs for back haul, and to sound system locations, camera locations etc.

Have a Renolabs Ultimate Audio Switch, LHY SW-8 Switch, Muon Pro and Eno Ag filters in various locations as well as linear power supplies on everything on the same power circuit as any audio gear. First about stuff like this and have found it does make a difference though given how packet based data transfer works, this stuff really shouldn’t make a difference. It is audible though.

1 Like

Sounds like you have a plan :slight_smile: Good luck with everything - designing and building a home is a great experience. Hope you have fun with it!

Yes, have an idea of what we want. Keen on cork flooring also. Great for sound and heat insulation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love my Unifi network and protect setup…cameras work into HomeKit via homebridge as do my Sensibo AC remotes and there is even a roon endpoints plugin that I never managed to get properly fixed up…also a heavy synology user too.

You probably already know about Scrypted but, just in case: https://www.scrypted.app

I switched over to Scrypted a couple of years ago when it introduced HomeKit Secure Video support before it was supported in the HomeBridge integration. At this point, Scrypted may not have any material advantages over HomeBridge, but I will say that it works absolutely flawlessly, is extremely configurable and capable, and supports accessory mode (which might just be an aesthetic thing, but I like it).

I run it in a Docker container on my NAS.