Roon server is suddenly brocken (continuously starting and stopping)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Ubuntu Linux 5.8.0-29-generic Roon 1.7 (build 667)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Server connected via Ethernet, network is OK

Description Of Issue

Some days ago I found that server can’t start. When I try to connect from remote, I see that Roon server is ready (for 10-30 seconds), so remote don’t have enough time to connect, then green mark changes to yellow with status “starting” for 1-3 munutes and the sycle repeats.
CPU became very hot, the load of one CPU core of i7 is 100%. I reinstalled Roon and the probbem persists.
Please, check build 667, does it work with the current Linux core?

Just downgraded to Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS and installed Roon Server. Now the connection with the Core is stable, the system info is:
Linux 5.4.0-54-generic.
I proved that Roon Server build 667 is unstable under Ubuntu 20.4.1 LTS and 20.10.
Roon engeneers, please check uncompatibility issue!

The problem is not in Linux version but with Roon Server config. When I made fresh install in Ubuntu 18.04 the Core was stable. But right after restore iof ANY backup (a day ago and a month ago is the same) and after restart, the Core became unstable and can’t start more than for 10-30 seconds.
Uninstall didn’t remove its settings, so the new install after uninstall don’t solve the problem. The Core settings can be removed after uninstall by
sudo rm -rf /var/roon
And then fresh install can be performed again.
So I’ll try to set up the Core from the beginning without restore from backup.

While configuring Roon Server after fresh install server suddenly stopped after adding one of my network folders. And then it can’t start, as I described in the very beginning.
And finally, the solution.

1. Uninstall Roon Server
  2. Delete /var/Roon
  3. Install Roon Server
  4. Connect to it from Remote
    5)Turn off the problem network storage
  5. Restore from the latest backup
    After these steps I have Roon Core starting and working well. But I don’t have an access to one of my network folders since I entirely removed it from my network.
    I’ll try to move it to another network drive in the future, and add it in its new position and address.
    The problem is solved, but I think Roon engeneers should correct this behaviour: Roon Server stops working in some occasion when one of network locations has some errors in its work.

Hi @Neskoromnyi_Vladimir, I’m glad to hear that you found a solution. Our team will look into this and if you see any issues return please let us know!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.