Roon Server not booting Status: Started–>Not Responding–>Error

Roon Core Machine

Roon Core on Zotac mini pc (16GB RAM, Intel Core i5-5200 CPU@2.20GHz)
Win 10
Roon Server (It should be the latest available version.)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

TP-Link Archer A10

Connected Audio Devices

There is an other wired router between the Roon Core and a Raspberry Pi (Ropeee XL)
The RPi is connected view AES to a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC.
There is an other RPi with Ropeee XL, which I use in an other room wirelessly.

Number of Tracks in Library

I’m not sure, but I think more than 30.000.

Description of Issue

The above setup has been working for more than 3 years without any problems.
I haven’t used Roon for a few days, and when I opened it yesterday it couldn’t find my core.

Checking the status of Roon server on the windows tray it circles Status: Started–>Not Responding–>Error.
I’ve tried to restart the core many times, and I tried to rename the Cache folder and then restart, but it seems the Roon Server won’t work.
Roon also installed on the same PC, and sometimes I use it directly to play music, but even this Roon on the same PC can’t find the core.

Download and reinstall roon server. After stopping it of course. While the database etc should be intact I hope you also have a recent backup

Thanks for the reply. I’ve just downloaded and reinstalled roon server, but the same problem remained. Then removed roon server, restarted the pc and installed it again. Again Started–>Not Responding–>Error circle starts.
This morning my pc said the win10 is up to date but a few minutes ago a new update have appeared.
Unfortunately installing the updates and then reinstalling roon server didn’t solve the problem.

i guess have to wait for support.

What is the IP address of your Core and what is the IP address of one your Raspberry Pis? Roon changed how DNS is handled in 931 and your statement that there are two routers in your network may mean either there are two networks or your DNS may need to be reconfigured.

Thank you for your reply.
The Core is connected to the TP-Link router wirelessly and to the other (Buffalo WHR-300) router with a LAN cable. The wifi is disabled on the Buffalo router and the only other thing connected to it with a LAN cable is the RPi. (I only use this other router because I can’t connect RPi directly to the Core and without the wired connection I always got dropouts. With the above setup I had no network problem or dropout in the past few years.)
The IP address of my core is 192.168.0.108 (from the TP-Link router)
The IP address of the RPi is 192.168.2.4 (from the Buffalo router)

The IP address of my core is 192.168.0.108 (from the TP-Link router)
The IP address of the RPi is 192.168.2.4 (from the Buffalo router)

This is showing two separate networks, with the TP-Link having a set of network addresses using 192.168.0.xxx and the Buffalo router using a set of network addresses using 192.168.2.xxx. The first three sets of numbers are different between the two.

Roon requires all devices to be on the same network (i.e., sharing the same three sets of numbers, but not the fourth which are assigned to each device separately).

Is it possible to set the Buffalo router to Bridge Mode, where it acts as a network switch, and keep WiFi off? If not, I recommend you replace the Buffalo router with a small inexpensive network switch, or connect the RPi directly to the TP-Link router with an Ethernet cable. This will ensure all network devices are on the same network and managed by the TP-Link.

Thanks.
I’ll try the bridge mode that you are recommended. (Unfortunately the TP-Link router is multiple rooms away and a direct LAN cable is not possible. Obviously that would be the best setup.)

What I don’t understand is, that my problem is not that Roon can’t see my Ropieee, if that would be the case i can see how being on a separate network might cause a problem. (Then Ropieee won’t show on the available audio output within the Roon app.)

The main problem is that Roon server on the Core won’t even start, so if I open Roon or Roon remote it won’t find my core. (My Macbook, iPhone etc. are on the TP-Link network, so they should see the core.)
So if I just remove the LAN cable from the Core it still should start Roon Server and then I should be able to connect to it from all my devices. (Like Roon on the same Core, Roon on my Macbook Air, Roon remote on my iPhone etc. )

So what might cause roon server to “not responding”?

1 Like

Do you know if the recent Windows update changed anything to the Windows firewall? Do you have exceptions for Roon and RAAT server in Windows on your Core PC (if its firewall is running)?

I don’t think anything changed in the Windows firewall.
I’ve just checked and roon.exe, roonappliance.exe, raatserver.exe all have exceptions and allowed inbound and outbound communication in the firewall’s setting.

Alight then, thanks @Lasollor. I’m tagging @support unless someone else can assist the diagnosis.

I don’t know if it is useful information or not, but looking at the Task Manager,
I’ve noticed that RoonApplience.exe will start, the memory usage goes up to about 4,000,000K, then it will shut down, start again and then repeat this indefinitely.

Definitely needing support to look at this for you. They may need to look at your Roon logs.

@support I still can’t make it work do you have any idea what should I try?

Hi Lasollor,

Fellow user. First, I’d look at the Windows Event Viewer logs and see if they have an indication. Is also, look at the RoonServer logs.

I would rename RoonServer to RoonServer_old in appsdata/local and reinstall. This should be a new clean install and database. Does this fresh install crash? If so, take a look again at Windows Event Viewer and RoonServer logs.

Before doing the above, make sure you have a good backup so you can restore.

Cheers,
Daniel

1 Like

Thanks! Renaming the folder and reinstalling Roonserver worked! Fortunately I had an automatic backup from a few days ago so everything is working as it used to be.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.