Roon Server not restarting after update

Roon Core Machine

ROCK running on Intel NUC6i3SYH
2TB internal Samsung 860 SSD.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ROCK connected via Ethernet to Huawei B535-232 router, no VPN

Connected Audio Devices

Sonore MicroRENDU connected by ethernet to router.
Denafrips Ares II DAC via USB

Number of Tracks in Library

about 20,000 tracks.

Description of Issue

Hello,
I was prompted to update the software on my ROCK on Monday, which I did.
But when I started the Roon app on my Android phone or iPad, the Roon logo remained stuck without the software to start. I tried to restart the server, and rebooted the ROCK a few times.
Following a recommendation I had found in the forum, I tried to rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old” and restart the RoonServer in the WebUI, but this didn’t help.
Finally I clicked on “Reinstall Operating System” in the WebUI. After a few minutes, I got the message "The was an error installing the software. Please take a screenshot and contact support. (“status”:“Failure”,“Exitcode”:43).
Can you help?
Thanks,
Christian

Hi @Christian_Waeber ,

It doesn’t look like you have Roon Server software started according to that picture. Can you try to click the Start button and then try to press the Reinstall command after?

Also, it looks like you have two networking interfaces, Ethernet and WiFi, and you are using Static IP. I would make sure just one of the interfaces is enabled, and try to use DHCP mode if static keeps having issues.

I have the same issue. I use Static IP because of ARC. Do you recommend just moving to DHCP for the update and then go back to Static?

Instead of static IP try using address reservations in your router DHCP pool settings

Also advisable to use DNS servers 1.1.1.1 and/or 8.8.8.8

Thanks Noris,
Not being able to start the Server IS the problem!
The Wireless interface is actually disabled.
As for DHCP vs Static, I’ve not had any problem with this, but just to be sure I set it to DHCP and retried to start the server (didn’t work) and reinstall the OS (same error message).
Best,
Christian

Thanks Pim,
I’m not sure what’s recommended, but have never any issues with Static. To be sure, I tried setting it to DHCP, but it didn’t solve my issues.
Best,
Christian

Thanks Wizardofoz,
Switching to DHCP didn’t solve my issue.
Best,
Christian

UPDATE: I renamed the folder RoonServer_old back to RoonServer, tried to reinstall the OS, but was now greeted with an error with an exit code 52, tried to restart the server software one more time, and … it worked! Go figure!

1 Like

Hmmm. Had another go at installing the update before I would do a hard re-boot (pull the plug). It just decided to work this time. So the solution is to just keep trying.

It could be any number of things that fixed it, from random luck or Roon fixing something in the background, to my restoring RoonServer_old back to RoonServer, to going from Static to DHCP, or a combination of a few of these!
Note that renaming the RoonServer folder is something I found in the Roon knowledge base to fix what seemed like a similar problem.
Thanks,
Christian

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.