Roon Server not Starting - even when run manually - sometime a quick flash of icon in system tray

Roon Core Machine

I’ve been running Roon Server for many years now on the same machine - it is Windows 10 64 bit, i5 processor. This is all that runs on that box.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

First noticed that the clients couldn’t connect to Core. So, I figured it was a Windows update and I needed to log into the box (Remote Desktop) and make sure Roon Server was running. This is usually the case.

Instead, When I try to run Roon Server, I might see the logo flash for a moment in the system tray, but nothing else. I tried reinstalling, no change.

Help would be greatly Appreciated,
N

Can you see if the Windows Event Viewer is reporting any issue with Roon Server?

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Here’s what it says

Log Name: Application
Source: .NET Runtime
Date: 6/30/2022 3:07:53 PM
Event ID: 1026
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Embiggen
Description:
Application: RoonServer.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.TypeLoadException
at Sooloos.App.Main(System.String[])

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
Embiggen

Application: RoonServer.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.TypeLoadException
at Sooloos.App.Main(System.String[])

There are a couple of reports similar to yours. They seem to have been fixed by reinstalling Roon Server, yet you say that you have done this with no result.

It may also be that Windows has updated its .NET framework, and this is causing an issue. This thread talks of installing an earlier version of the framework (which may have been the one used by Roon Server when it was originally installed).

Not sure what to suggest further. Best to wait for a member of the Support team to address this issue.

2 Likes

Nick, I hope @support and the broader Roon community can assist you, we all need to rally around any PC named “Embiggen”.

2 Likes

I’m replying from my SurfaceBook 3 which is called BurnsAndSmithers

1 Like

I am going to re-download to make sure I have the latest version - will let everyone know. Thanks all

Sorry to waste everyone’s time - i must have been a little sloppy managing my downloads :face_with_head_bandage: - got the latest, installed it, no issues and boom I was back in action. Thanks again all!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.